News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Motorcycle Under Over Volt Monitor - research survey.

Started by kiwibum, September 04, 2009, 11:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

That top aftermarket unit is pretty fugly - no way I'm having those on my bike.  So yes a single LED is a better solution.  On the XZ400 clusters there is the speed warning light which is a perfect place to mount it.

I agree about the w=IxV thing I don't know what I'm talking about.  The point I was trying to make was that something turns the stator from a functioning unit to a charred mess, and ideally I want to know it's about to happen if I don't stop the engine asap, rather than it's already happened, and I now only have battery power to get me home.  Both are usefull pieces of information, bit the former is going to save me $US150 and a fortnight waiting for a part.
Have you any clues how the impending / post doom states would show up on your device?

Cdnlouie

From my perspective having an actual voltage display helps tests battery condition when cranking engine for start.  As the battery ages the voltage can drop below 12 volts during cranking which indicates your battery is aging and may not start your bike in the near future.  If you drop close to 10 volts during cranking you can know that your battery is going to be a problem as the TCI will not fire your bike no matter how long you continue to crank.

It also helps you know what kind of condition your battery is in as to how long the R/R takes to drop down from 14.5 to the fully charged battery condition of around 13.5 volts.  The R/R senses battery condition and this is reflected in voltage readings. This may not mean much to the average Joe but if you are familiar with how the system works voltage readings do become meaningful to you.

A full voltage meter is a nice option if you know how to use it.  You have some good ideas so I wish you luck with this venture.  I do prefer the axiom of "less is more" and your idiot light is definitely a nice idea.  I just thought you might want to hear at least one reason why some of us do prefer the voltage reading too.

akvision

good stuff!!!!!!

I have a VDO analog gage..and I am interested in other systems.

Thanks for this work...this is what makes the ROV such a super site..

thanks again for your work and effort.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

kiwibum

As others have mentioned a full volt meter gives the most information. However for me, I have a multimeter in my tool box and carry it with me on long trips, and commercial bike volt meters are already available. Therefore this project was to come up with something simple to give the information I require where there is a gap in the market. Here is an image of the prototype, next versions could be much smaller. The  simulation image should give you an idea of how it operates.

LED is standard 5mm diameter, length shown in photo is 2.5cm which is about 1 inch. As you can see it fits nicely in the 82 XZ dash.

Not sure if I'll take this to a commercial product to sell. From the survey and as indicated on the replies in this thread the most interest is in a volt meter. I would prefer this unit (which is why I've built it), it's a little more difficult to fit however it's very small and out of the way.

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

akvision

So, what is the retail cost per unit and what is involved with install.?
Is is availble as a kit?

It always come down to cost vs performance.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

kiwibum

Quote from: akvision on November 15, 2009, 12:47:10 AM
So, what is the retail cost per unit and what is involved with install.?
Aiming for $25USD. All depends where you want to install it. For the XZ best place is in the instrument cluster, which requires taking it apart, drilling a couple of holes, sliding unit in and screwing up wire connectors on back. Probably a two hour job.
Is is availble as a kit?
Not yet, it would be available as kit if I determine there is enough interest. Unit would come with mounting bezel, wires and connection/mounting instructions.
It always come down to cost vs performance.
Yip my estimate is $25USD is price point, fits in with other available products.

reply in blue above

Cdnlouie

Lovely idea, however in my personal opinion it might be a distraction to me to see the LED on when I stop and the bike drops under 13 volts, like when you put your brake on.  I think it would bother me unless the voltage was set low enough to keep the LED off when stopped and holding the brake on.  This may be the only potential annoyance side of the equation and maybe that would not bother someone else, but you would want to test this with your unit before setting the voltage at 13.  12.5 volts might be a better level and see how that works.  That is the one problem with a the idiot light idea.  I do like the idea and would find it acceptable if it was not in the habit of coming on in regular running.

This little unit can be used on all bikes so you have a good potential market.

Good thinking on this one,

George R. Young