Problem with carburetor?

Started by rockinjer, September 09, 2009, 06:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockinjer

when my bike is sitting in nutral it seems like it runs fine when reving, but when i am riding it when accelerating to about 3500 rpm then in acts like it holds off on the gas like it holds at that rpm and then in snaps out of it in a half second or so and then its fine after that, its even worse when i am not accelerating fast,

Thanks for the help
1982 XZ550

YellowJacket!

ahhh. the infamouse stumble.  Lots of info here about it.

In a nutshell, the problem is most likely dirty carbs.  They need a thorough cleaning; not the kind you get with a can of spray cleaner either.  If the bike has sat for any bit of time, the carbs will need to be fully disassembled and dipped...and dipped...and dipped.

BTW, Welcome to ROV.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

one dip will usually do it, just be thourough, then use seafoam or berrymans in the tank monthly (unless the tank has Kreem coating, that's a whole other issue)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Lucky on September 09, 2009, 11:16:26 PM
then use seafoam or berrymans in the tank monthly

And the more often you ride it, the better. 

For you and the bike :-)

rockinjer

OK thanks for helping, ill get to cleaning it when i can, i do ride to work on it 5 days a week so it has helped a little since i got it
1982 XZ550

kiawrench

rock-
   until you can clean them by dipping and all, go ahead and buy a can of seafoam or berrymans carb cleaner at your local car parts shop. put 1/2 cup or so in your tank at each fill up, this will provide a cleaner set of carbs, and may break up any build-up that is adding to your problem.  stp, barr's fuel system cleaner and the like are ok, but not meant for carbs anymore.
at no time should you use wynn's fuel system cleaner in your bike ,or RAU products  that stuff turns to jello inside your tank
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Lucky

DON'T use any of that stuff if your tank has a Kreem coating!!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

rockinjer

ok so buy fuel addative? or get the spray foam and spray right in the carb?
1982 XZ550

h2olawyer

A belated welcome!

Use SeaFoam - it's a liquid product you dump in the fuel tank (as long as there is no milky white coating in the tank).  SeaFoam is a fuel additive.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.