News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

trick for recovering seats

Started by Lucky, April 25, 2004, 08:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

I've been doing some research, because I want to try & make a taller sadle & this may have been mentioned before, it sounded familar..

put the seat foam in a plastic trash bag, put a toilet paper tube up against the foam and rubberband the bag tight against the tube.

take a vaccume and hold it up against the tube & suck the air out of the bag & the foam. tie off the bag & remove the tube.

set the shrunken bag on the seat pan and start to staple on the cover, leaving the front for last.  just before you need to do the front, lift the cover up & snip the tie from the front of the bag.  the foam will inflate.  push the foam around a bit to settle into position if needed, and finish stapling.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kiawrench

there you go again,,, finding the good trix,,,,
    i did sort of the same thing ,, i stacked everything face down over a grain sack full of dog chow, , applied weight to back side, crushing foam under the weight. stapled fast and furious around most of the seat, the released the weight . foam swells, seat cover is tight as a new one and still holds shape i put on paper.   trick is in getting the staples all the way in,,, needs serious stapler to get into the seat and not poke up
  used half a box to finish my seat, but a lot of those were pull and pop ,,,,, too high, had to reshoot
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

h2olawyer

I had the same staple problem.  I tried my Sears electric stapler first - no good.  I had the best success with my old Bostitch T5 (3rd generation in the family) hand staple gun (CLANGGGG).  I just did it on my workbench, started at the front, then rear and finally sides from the middle out.  The Travelcade cover was very tight to get the staples where the ones from the original cover were and it turned out great with no wrinkles or bulges anywhere.  I like the idea of using a grain sack.  Wish I'd thought of that!

H2o
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kiawrench

my best luck came from one of those "any size,any brand "staplers from wal-mart ,9.99
even worked better than my bostich air stapler for doing furniture.
 ? will have to send you some pix when that box gets here,,, darn thing sat in commerce for three days, been less than 150 miles away all day today,,,,,,, sweating hard, hoping to get it thursday .lol
 ? ? got the ret of the bike back into tip top shape,, new paint where needed, new graphics, and got permission to use vetter corp symbol in graphics,, from big daddy himself .(craog vetter) ?i didnt even know he was still alive,,,, but sure is ,, doing lecture circuit in design and engineering . one would think that a man that designed the hurricaine and the mystery ship would be rolling in the bucks,, but he is still in last phase of bankruptcy, ? new design he has out for harley based scooter is sweet ? ? huge step through derived from a sportster. ? http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/defiant.html
you should check this out,,, ,,, maybe my ride when i hit 55,,, lol,, beats a three wheeler http://www.defiantscooter.com/Pages/Body%20Styles/body_styls_main.html  is the defiant web site,,, hmmmmm  i may have found a new project bike
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .