I need to get a grip

Started by GT @ oh., September 09, 2009, 06:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT @ oh.

off .......I got it to slide down to the butt end..... but the butt end is stuck.....I put a c.c. on (thanks again) and need to make room so grip doesn't contact c.c. .......I also noticed if i go no hands.... the bike wants to go to the left.....yrs ago a woman backed into me and the wheel got pointed canted ....I took it to the mech. and he tweaked it back by putting front tire between his legs and twisted the handle bars....my q is...... which way would I tweak to get it to go straighter? force wheel to rt. or left?

Re-Vision

If it was my front end, I'd loosen the forks until completely free and retighten all fork clamps.  If that doesn't fix it, look for bent forks,wheel, and unlikely the frame.  I just disassembled one that had a bent steering head.  BDC

inanecathode

Bikes generally wont veer to one side if the wheel and handlebars arent aligned. They will however if the front wheel isnt perfectly straight up and down, or the frame head/frame is bent.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

GT @ oh.

It doesn't pull..... but it goes left unless...... I weight myself to the rt. .......I never notice till going no hands.... it must be able to tweak some..... since I seen the mech. do it.       I'm gonna do the tapered bearing swap soon anyway... plus I need to check/change the original 27yr. old fork oil so maybe that will help .......any suggestions on the grip removal?

QBS

Re grip removal:  Utility knife.

inanecathode

Quote from: GT @ oh. on September 11, 2009, 10:01:17 AM
It doesn't pull..... but it goes left unless...... I weight myself to the rt. .......I never notice till going no hands.... it must be able to tweak some..... since I seen the mech. do it.       I'm gonna do the tapered bearing swap soon anyway... plus I need to check/change the original 27yr. old fork oil so maybe that will help .......any suggestions on the grip removal?

It's not because the wheel isnt straight with the handlebars, thats what that wheel-between-the-legs tweak is for. If it's pulling (which it is if you have to shift your weight to remain going straight) it's either because the steering head is bent, or the forks aren't even up and down (meaning the wheel is cocked to the side and its not tracking straight up and down). It wouldnt be fork oil, but i could see how if you got front ended the races could have shifted, and they're impacted anyway, so this would lead the whole front end to being misaligned under weight but fine otherwise.

Lucky

Gt, inanecathode is right, think of it this way:

you turn by leaning, if your riding anywhere other than the center of the tire, your going to turn in that direction (smaller ciurcumfrence) unless your counter-steering.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

GT @ oh.

The woman backed up to leave her parking space.... I was on the bike getting ready to leave.....and giving the horn as she approached..... she stopped just short of shoving the bike back..... but things were noticably out of alignment on the way home......stopped by the mech. who took to tweaking the forks as mentioned.....that was like I said 20+yrs ago....is it possible the bike is weighted left by the case and shaft and single disc......has anyone gone no hands c.c. at say 55-60 mph and had the bike go straight?......just curious.....  dont go trying..... probably not a good idea.                                                            I read a grip post and CanadianLouie enlightened the grip problem.......can you get factory replacements?...if so anyone know how much?

Tiger

:) Check that the front caliper isn't sticking a wee bit...which would pull you to the left some...  :-\ I certainly would not disagree with inane's theory either...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Tiger on September 11, 2009, 05:52:52 PM
:) Check that the front caliper isn't sticking a wee bit...which would pull you to the left some... 

Uh no.  Unless you think that all 1982 Visions with a single disk will pull to the left...

Brian

inanecathode

I'm on what amounts on stock suspension as a severely loaded vision, i can go no hands at 70+ and it still goes straight. New bearings, progressive+stiffer front springs, yzf600 rear monoshock+spring.
Course it's an 83, so dual disk, but that doesnt make bikes pull. Cars will pull to one side or the other with uneven brakes only because theres a differential traction side to side, motorcycles only have one contact patch per end, and they're both in line. The only way a bike would veer with no input is if theres a differential traction side to side, meaning both wheels arent tracking down the exact same line.

Tiger

:) Hey, sorry guys...just using the experience of one of my Visions that had this symptom and a sticking caliper, once freed off resolved the problem ::)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

To "de tweak " the front end , slightly loosen the pinch bolts and  holding the front wheel between your legs, pull the bars , until they are at a right angle to the wheel . You may have to go around to the riders position, to check progress . When your  satisfied tighten every thing up.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike