News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

AKVison's New Adventure

Started by akvision, September 13, 2009, 06:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akvision

I'm going on vacation.  Am heading for Littleton,CO on Wednesday and "Rhpaw" and I will be heading out on a 7 day adventure from Colorado heading south for a father/son, bike, boytime.   I am looking forward to this time as my window of opportunity is beginning to look shorter as every year passes.

I have decided to take up this them song for this special year.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDyguTDEkyw

I can relate to this.

When I get arrive in Colorado on Wednesday, I have to check over the "AKV" carefully and am told that the stator is suspect.. never fear as I do have a spare and a gasket.  Also, I will install a new starter just in case, be cause I have one.  My son has wrenched this thing to it's current prime condition and he is "sick of  it",   The clock as some 5400 miles on it and we are going riding. He with his soon to be tested iron butt on the Buell xBr9.   We are going touring and will talk about the meaning of life and drink some single malt and maybe for good measure some sour mash.   This is a long treasured desire on my part to have this opportunity with him.   The Vision, the beemers, and the challenge of getting things right have helped connect all of us in the endeavor of sharing this sport.

So come back to this thread and report as we begin the adventure.   Stay tuned.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

funkamongus

That sounds GREAT!! I hope you guys have a really good time.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

vadasz1

Safe journeys and enjoy your freedom!!!
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

rhpaw

Ok pics will be posted..
He's here and we are fooling around with the bike.  Waiting on the starter.
When riding locally today,,, awesome.  Bike been sitting for a month with seafoam in the tank.
A little balky on the start and is have trouble to idle... I think we need to add fresh gas.
more to come.
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

akvision

drove  both bikes today... what a difference between the, one was like sleeping with the queen and the other was like riding a willing race horse.

The V was balky..... need to run some gas thru it.
keep posted.
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

akvision

Today the akV got her new stator!  All went smoothly.  She got a new rebuilt starter too.

So what was abit of a surprize when the cover came off was that the screws were buggered.  So, I surmise that this is not the first stator for akV.  They were a little tough but with the extra carful push and a cold chisl on one they all got replaced and the new unit is in..

As we get ready for our big adventure, the V is not running right at low speed.. so the carbs are coming off as I  write and will check out low speed circuit.

more latter.. sunny and warm in Denver.. nice beats all the rain back home.

more>>>>>
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

inanecathode

Quote from: akvision on September 19, 2009, 11:15:32 PM
Today the akV got her new stator!  All went smoothly.  She got a new rebuilt starter too.

So what was abit of a surprize when the cover came off was that the screws were buggered.  So, I surmise that this is not the first stator for akV.  They were a little tough but with the extra carful push and a cold chisl on one they all got replaced and the new unit is in..

As we get ready for our big adventure, the V is not running right at low speed.. so the carbs are coming off as I  write and will check out low speed circuit.

more latter.. sunny and warm in Denver.. nice beats all the rain back home.

more>>>>>

Supposed to be 56 and raining on monday :/
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

akvision

hey inane.....hi

Rain?? huh.  Will not let it damp my spirit.
Maybe we will look to ride away from it..

Anyway, akV is all fixed. Pulled the carbs did not disturb any settings, remover the smallest jets from the bottom, you know the ones that remind you that you are a boy.  Cleaned them and blew out the replaced all.   Re-gased and she purred on the second spin.

So, sweet.   As an aside, I now figure we have about $1500 in the bike with parts, and about $5000 in labor.  Thanks Rhpaw.

On the other side, the 75/7 "Gertie" is down with a bad clutch bearing.. Am looking fwd to paying thru the a$$ for the parts.  All other wise is solid and ready for the drive from here to Seattle.

We take off tomarrow and Rhpaw has one of those Google phones will post as we go.

Keep tuned.
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

funkamongus

Have a GREAT ride!! and I know about those cheap bikes!! I got one for free that now has about 5K in labor and 1K or so in parts. Ass, gas, or grass, nothings free!!!!
I own:

rhpaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Ui7gxaM0I

fixed!

Drive those V's once a week!!! this thing was gummed 'just enough' after not being ridden for for about 3 weeks.

rhpaw

Woo!!
We're sitting here at an ihop in littleton and its snowing.   -havent left yet.

funkamongus

hahahahhahaha evidently, mother nature has a sense of humor when she deals with you, too!! It'll pass! She's just having a chuckle.
I own:

rhpaw

Let's go!![/b]

Let's stop!!

I advised we hightail it back as we were still going up the mountains and we couldn't actually SEE anyway.

funkamongus

I own:

akvision

Yeah well, Inane was right...... it didn't just rain.   

It looked like it might get better so we left and we got up there about 8K feet and it started to snow and was sticking to the ground.  Visers were fogging and pavement wet, just sort of miserable.   Heck, """I did't come for this.."""

We stopped at Sky Village with no sky but grey. 
Decided the the safe thing to do was to turn around and try tomarrow. 

So had a nice supper with the little guys and go again in the am.

God,the V is so sweet.  This is really the first time I have had the opportunity to ride it when all was right at real speeds on real road.  Nice torque curve, handles like a sweet heart and purrs like a kitten. No stumble, no falter, starts easy and runs smooth, stops nice and has no bad manners.

I am now discovering what a terrific bike I have stumbled upon.

Thanks for all the sweat "Rhpaw".  I am really lucky.

more to come.... 8)
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

funkamongus

Youre more than really lucky,, youre deserving!! Tomorrow will be a better day and Mother nature has had her smile for the trip.. Youre good to go!! Have a great ride!!!!
I own:

h2olawyer

The first part of Tuesday should be OK, but don't dawdle in the foothills too long!  Supposed to have more snow in the afternoon and again on Wednesday.  Then warmer - more fall-like weather the rest of the week.  Some way to celebrate the last day of Summer!  Typical Colorado weather.  They started making snow @ Loveland Ski Area today as well.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

rhpaw

We got the hell out of Colorado as quick as we could. I25 south,no fun.... but here we are in las Vegas, nm...having dinner and booze down the street from the best western.  More to come..

h2olawyer

Ah - out to the desert!  You're not far from Rick G.  Maybe you ought to head his direction?

Safe travels & keep us informed of how things are going.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.