vision doesnt like to start when warm...any tips on where to start?

Started by wigglesrewind, September 14, 2009, 08:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wigglesrewind

hey guys, my visions usually starts right up and runs great when its cold but once its been running and i shut it off. its really hit or miss getting it started again. im pretty new to bikes in general and have never worked on carbs before. im thinking that cleaning out the carbs is probably the first place i should go? how hard/expensive is it to maintenence the carbs on these bikes? an y help anyone could offer would be awesome. thanks in advance.
my first bike: 82' xz550 10k miles

don_vanecek

Tell us more how/what you normally do when you start it when cold-your procedure-then of course tell us what you have to do to get it to start when warm or hot.  More details.

wigglesrewind

typically i just choke it (full)when its cold and it will start after a few cranks. when its warm it doesnt seem to matter whether its choked or not, it seems like it will start whenever it feels like it. sometimes it starts sometimes it wont no matter how much i try. what i dont really do anything different at all so im not sure why it starts sometimes and other times it wont.
my first bike: 82' xz550 10k miles

YellowJacket!

Try this out:  Half choke, three twists of the throttle (click your heels for good luck) and hit the start button.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

my routine:

petcock to prime
7/8th's choke
3.25 twists of the throttle
lights off
clutch in
key in
push start, crank & twist 180 seconds
let off start, key off
1/2 choke, 1.157 twsts of throttle
key on, push start, crank 74 seconds, scowl
let off start, key off, key on, push start twice, move choke back & fourth while cranking, 18 seconds.
key off, mutter something under my breath, yell: "nothing Sweetheart, just starting the bike"
key on, crank bike while looking over at the neighbor thinking: what a dumb-ass..,
key off, go inside & see what the wife needs, take the van to the store for milk.
come back with the milk, eat half a sandwich out of the fridge, key on 2 twists, hit start bike fires for 3 seconds & dies
recrank, twist throttle 12 more seconds...
pottyhead!
get manometers, charge battery, adjust pilots, pull YICS off & cap, screw with synq rod, jump battery off the van
key on, bike roars to life in the carport, blowing out the eardrums of my son who just just walked out...
turn & grin, throw on my gear & ride, ripping the jumpercables off the van & dragging them down the street,

who cares! it's running & i'm having fun!!

return home after 4 minuets 'cause it started snowing REALLY hard..!

Hope This Helps!!
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Snowing in Loudon??  Raining here in Knoxville.  "bout 76 degrees too.

Do you really crank for 74 seconds?  I always thought it was like 1/74th of a second and it started right up...

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Brian Moffet

It's that global warming.  Lucky's bike is the cause and the main victim of it... 

Lucky

Quote from: YellowJacket! on September 16, 2009, 04:15:04 PM
Snowing in Loudon??  Raining here in Knoxville.  "bout 76 degrees too.

Do you really crank for 74 seconds?  I always thought it was like 1/74th of a second and it started right up...

David

no, that's Cafe Vision, i walk out in my jacket & she starts up on her own...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kiawrench

wiggles-
 next time it does this to you , remove key, then remove fuel cap , turn petcock to prime , wait a couple of minutes and then start the bike . if this works ,you just need to clean your filler cap up really good inside ,it tends to get icky in there .  old gaskets tend to crumble up and block the vent action inside the cap ,and this will create a negative pressure inside the tank,but ease off after a bit,allowing the bike to start.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Night Vision

Quote from: Lucky on September 16, 2009, 06:57:08 AM
my routine:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<   there's your problem.... you are missing a step here
petcock to prime
7/8th's choke
3.25 twists of the throttle
lights off
clutch in
key in
push start, crank & twist 180 seconds
let off start, key off
1/2 choke, 1.157 twsts of throttle
key on, push start, crank 74 seconds, scowl
let off start, key off, key on, push start twice, move choke back & fourth while cranking, 18 seconds.
key off, mutter something under my breath, yell: "nothing Sweetheart, just starting the bike"
key on, crank bike while looking over at the neighbor thinking: what a dumb-ass..,
key off, go inside & see what the wife needs, take the van to the store for milk.
come back with the milk, eat half a sandwich out of the fridge, key on 2 twists, hit start bike fires for 3 seconds & dies
recrank, twist throttle 12 more seconds...
pottyhead!
get manometers, charge battery, adjust pilots, pull YICS off & cap, screw with synq rod, jump battery off the van
key on, bike roars to life in the carport, blowing out the eardrums of my son who just just walked out...
turn & grin, throw on my gear & ride, ripping the jumpercables off the van & dragging them down the street,

who cares! it's running & i'm having fun!!

return home after 4 minuets 'cause it started snowing REALLY hard..!

Hope This Helps!!
--Lucky
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano