Ultrasonic solution?

Started by VK, September 16, 2009, 12:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VK

Looks like I am going to have to given my carbs a good cleaning.  On two previous occasions I thought this would be needed, but running carb/fuel injector cleaner through a tank of gas were sufficient to get the bike running smoothly.  This time I can no longer even get the bike to start and a reliable mechanic has confirmed that this is because the carbs are severely clogged.  I'd like to take on the cleaning task myself and was thinking it might be quicker if I used an ultrasonic cleaner to dip the carbs.  The ultrasonic cleaner I purchased ($63) indicates that I cannot use combustible solvents.  On the other hand, the various nonflammable cleaning solutions that I saw on the shelf all indicated that they should not be used on aluminum or magnesium, so I am unsure of what to do.  Any suggestions on an effective ultrasonic cleaning solutions for carburetors on the Vision? 

VK

Lucky

we've been cleaning them for years in Berrymans Carb Dip, that works great...

ultrasonic won't be faster, you don't dip anything more than 1/2 hour, & you can only fit so much in those ulrasonic baskets... but it should do a better job.

not using solvents in the ultrasonic is probably a safety overkill thing, i think with proper supervision it'd be fine, especially if the basket is stainless.  now, don't call me if the shed burns down...  :o :o

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kevin

A gallon of berryman's and a harbour freight sonic cleaner will do a fine job. Be careful with the heat cycle, I had the dip steaming from repeated cycling of the heater. :o 

QBS

Wow! A steaming hot ultrasonic dipping.  Got to be the ultimate solution for dirty carbs.

Re-Vision

I saw a couple of different ultrasonic models today at Harbor freight , ($25 and about $65) I see you got the bigger one.  Let us know how well it works on carbs and such. Use solvents and put it outside to be on the safe side.  BDC

YellowJacket!

Its like a day spa visit for your carbs...sauna, hot tub and massage.  :-)

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

The Prophet of Doom

Except instead of a sweedish masseuse called Helga with her boobs showing, the carbs get a balding middle age mechanic with a pot belly and his crack showing ;D

67GTO

Great, now I have to get that picture out of my head :(
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

YellowJacket!

Quote from: roro on September 17, 2009, 05:50:56 AM
Except instead of a sweedish masseuse called Helga with her boobs showing, the carbs get a balding middle age mechanic with a pot belly and his crack showing ;D

OK....Where was the "Dave, don't drink anything before reading this post" warning?!?!?  I spit Iced tea (sweet) all over my screen!  LOL....After my crappy day at work today I really needed that laugh!!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Kevin on September 16, 2009, 11:34:40 PM
A gallon of berryman's and a harbour freight sonic cleaner will do a fine job. Be careful with the heat cycle, I had the dip steaming from repeated cycling of the heater. :o 

I have had an identical experience using the all stainless Harbor Freight model. It did a great job with the new weaker carb dip that Berryman changed to after it got warmed up.

I poured the Berryman's with it unplugged and kept spills wiped up.

If you burn down your garage, sue Lucky.

:laugh:
Coil

Kevin

Roro  I resemble that remark!

Lucky

coming soon to Craigslist:
computer equipment for sale cheap:
1 keyboard -- keys stick
1 flat panel monitor --images 'fuzzy'
1 cpu, comes with sugar ants, no extra charge...

Quote from: YellowJacket! on September 17, 2009, 09:07:37 PM
OK....Where was the "Dave, don't drink anything before reading this post" warning?!?!?  I spit Iced tea (sweet) all over my screen!  LOL....After my crappy day at work today I really needed that laugh!!

David

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

VK

Thanks to all for the feedback.  I'll try Berryman's with the ultrasonic cleaner while keeping a watchful eye (and in an area where a fire would not burn structure).  Am swamped for the immediate future so don't know when the job will get done, but I will post results when I get to this chore.  (If Helga were to offer a hand I would surely find the time sooner rather than later!)

VK

kiawrench

i use the smaller can of berryman's  little 1 gal thing with a basket . i dont worry with sonic action cleaning , as the dip will do the job with or without a vibrator .

i find that dipping twice works best .   dip the carbs , clean them up ,dry them down, then do it again . that way , it saves all the extra time having to assemble them,mount them, then just take them off to do it all over again .
not picking on anyone at all, it just seems there are a lot of people being told to dip things again - so dipping twice the first time just makes more sense .   
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .