News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Newbie smells possibility/ carb help

Started by Back_in_the_Saddle, April 27, 2004, 09:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back_in_the_Saddle

So, based on another sites suggestions, I poured a little gas on the carb. She actually wanted to start. I know that this is indicative of a specific problem or area of the problem, I just don't know what. Any suggestions? Also, on the front carb, right side, there is a small outlet that looks like it should have a tube on it, but there isn't. This is where I put the gas in and it is just above the "butterfly" inside the carb itself. Should a tube be on this or not, and if so, from where? Again, thanks for the help, I will reward you generously, in the next world.

h2olawyer

Howdy Saddle -

From your description, I think that is where the vacuum line attaches to the flapper modification in the air box. ?I've looked at both the factory & Haynes manuals and then my bike - without removing tank or airbox. ?The fitting is not shown in either manual but is on my V, so I am assuming that it was for the later airbox mod and is the updated '82 carb airhorn. ?Does the fitting protrude just above the small air vent filter that sits in the little bracket on the right side of the front carb? ?I just checked Lucky's site & he shows the vacuum line from the upper right side of the front carb going to the airbox flapper. ?(try //www.xz550.com and go the carb section)

Hope this helps!
Rob
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Back_in_the_Saddle

I think we are talking about the same thing. Definitely appreciate your effort. If there is any way you could post the exact page on Lucky's site that would help. You also identified something that I was trying to figure out, the air vent filter. Thanks much!

h2olawyer

Saddle -

Try this diagram - http://www.xz550.com/carbvac.html and the entire carb section is here ?http://www.xz550.com/carbindex.html

Have you bought the Haynes manual yet? ?You can also e-mail Lucky for a download of the entire factory repair manual. ?Details are on his site.  Haynes is an excellent repair resource and combined with the factory manual, most of the repairs are well described and pictured. ?Those that aren't are found on Lucky's site, Leather's site and in searching through this forum.

Good luck in getting her running great!
Rob
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.