News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Newbie Smell......is gas

Started by Back_in_the_Saddle, April 25, 2004, 01:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back_in_the_Saddle

So, took the starter off and reassembled so that is working fine. When I try to start the bike, it turns over but won't turn on. I'm noticing gas coming from the overflow tube under the bike when I try to start the bike. The petcock is on "ON", I saw the carb flaps flapping like crazy yesterday so they are not stuck. Is it possible the needle jet or jet needle is stuck? Any direction would be helpful. Thanks again

QBS

What is a "carb flap" and where is it located?  The fuel petcock is vacume controlled.  With the engine not running the petcock should not be allowing fuel flow except in the "Prime" position.  Gas coming out under the bike sounds like the carb overflow fuel drain lines are in place and working well.

Put all this together and it would seem that you have a combination of stuck and or leakey fuel float needle valves and a leakey fuel petcock.

With the engine not running, remove the fuel line from the petcock and turn it to prime.  There should be fuel flow from the petcock.  Now turn the petcock to on position.  There should be no fuel flow.  If there is fuel flow your petcock is leaking and needs to be rebuilt or replaced with a good one.

Regarding stuck or leaking needle valves: connect the fuel line to the petcock and turn it to the prime position.  Gently tap the carb flow bowls.  This should loosen the stuck needle valves and (assuming there is fuel flow from the petcock in the prime position) the fuel leak should stop.  If the leak persists, you've got some really gummed up needle valves, or bad needle valve "O" rings, or big trash stuck in the needle valve seat areas, or bad carbs floats, or the ever popular: Some combination of all of the above.

Do the tests I've outlined above and report back here.  We'll go on from there.  Cheers.

Lucky

If the float hight is not adjusted properly the carbs will over flow as well.  Also, I've found a few V carbs that the brass overflow drain tube was inserted too far (not tall enough) by 2 to 3mm.  this can cause them to overflow easily.  I've seen it happen enough that i suspect this was a well known, but unpublished problem.  I routinely lower "closed" float hight by 3mm. (so that the needles close with the fuel level 3mm lower than spec)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Back_in_the_Saddle

I checked the petcock and its fine. I did tap the carb bowls. It s not leaking anymore so I believe that did the trick, thanks much.