UPDATE-yics substitute

Started by Wayne, April 26, 2005, 04:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne

The 63CC-2.1 Ounce bottles (Item #0006 39M from Elemental Containers) is a no go. Kaput. No Way. Adios. OK-a better solution to container substitute has presented it self,       closer to 70CC than above. 1 5/8" x 5 1/8" $2.00 each. Minimum order of $50.00. You can see these at  http://www.oregonsoapworks.com/store/product 206.html    The UPS fee to my location is twice as much as the bottles. Anyone on the forum think maybe we could get a volunteer to head up a $50.00 purchase to get these. It would require each of us to put in a additional $10.00 each to cover UPS fee to each one. These size bottles are available, but the sellers will not ship small orders. Getting these bottles equates to asking my Vision to be nice to me EVERYDAY.

fiddlesticks

I am interested but the link did not work for me. Is it correct?

Fiddlesticks
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

Extent

Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Wayne

Fiddlesticks-I think I am having what you could call a Vision day. Add    206.html   to the end of link I posted and it will work. I need a drink. Wayne

Wayne

Extent

Same bottles, .90 each and no minimum order
http://www.lavenderlane.com/store/default.asp?type=Retail&parentid=2

Here's a store w/ a better picture of the bottles
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cranberrylane/2ozalbot.html

defenatly looks like you'll need to do some adapting to get a fitting on there, but it's still probably easier than making the chamber yourself.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Wayne

Extent-Again Thanks for info. Those are exactly what I wanted. Adapting to hoses will be no problem. If I get carried away, I will purchase sguare chrome tail pipe extension, trim it to cover bottles and mount it between the cyls. for good appearance.

fiddlesticks

I just cant get my head around how to seal the hose to the bottle. I know kiawrench did the same with some hot sauce bottles. Hopefully he can enlighten us to how to make the seal.
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

harry_angel69

It is hard to say without holding it in my hand and taking measurments, but the first thing I would try if the opening was about 5/8".  Take the bottle to your local plumbing store or home improvement warehouse.  There should be a section full of brass fittings.  Look for a bushing as close to the size of the opening as you can get.  If the opening was 5/8".  I would a 5/8 to a 3/8 NPT reducer.  Then I would look for a 3/8 NPT to a 1/8" barb fitting.  Assemble to the bottle with JB Weld.  

This would only work if you find a fitting that fit "snug" into the opening.  Too big and the threads will damage the bottle too much.  Too small and the threads will not touch anything, and the JB Weld may not hold.

Then again i might hold the bottle in my hand and go "That is the dumbest friggin idea I have ever had in my entire life".  

It is all just a guess.  Hope it gives you a direction.
Don't tell me about your "gonna do" projects.  Just do it already.  I don't want any coulda, shoulda, woulda in my life.

Koaps

Not sure if you guys notices or not, but those bottles are meant for really low pressure(and downward applied force from the sprayer). The walls are thin and the treading is not that great(IE its more rounded then normal metal treading). It's meant to couple to plastic bottle caps, not brass or metal fittings, so be weary when screwing together connections or your likely to strip and tear the alum threads, maybe enough to create a hole.

If you got a mig/tig rig you could seal the bottle to the fitting easily, if not you may want to look into using a slightly bigger brass(soft metal) fitting and O-rings or locktite to seal it. Not sure how much a pressure the engine generates on the YICS, but it could be enough to rocket the bottle off while you are going down the freeway at speed.

Wayne

Thats it Harry Angel69-My approach is similar. I have a airless sparyer that I had notice has reducer similar to a brass fitting you describe. These are not brass, and the metal is not case harden are heat treated. Easy to work with. I found similar fitting at Home Depot. For the fun of it, I purchased one with the big end bigger that the bottle and the small end larger than the hose that came as original on V. File or grind the large end to just slip into the neck of the bottle. JB Weld to seal it. Before this step, drill out the smaller end of adapter as near the size of the ID of the hose from cyl. File down the OD of adapter where the hose will slip on. Use small clamp. I tried this with hard plastic bottle and it worked great, course, that was just to see if it worked. I do not plan on running plastic anything. The purpose of drilling out the adapter is to get as smooth of flow as possible. Once the aluminum bottles come in I will revisit somewhere where air compressor couplings are sold, and hopefully be finished with this YICS.

ofstone

I think the bottle would be a good alternative, but a good sealed fitting to the tube can be difficult.
The pressures will not be a problem since the bike only will generate underpressure (maybe a backfire will give big overpressure) and that will be no more that 1 bar. I think those bottles can handle that pressure.

harry_angel69

The bottles should hold the pressure.  Its the connection that will give.
Don't tell me about your "gonna do" projects.  Just do it already.  I don't want any coulda, shoulda, woulda in my life.

Coil Coyle

Thpought I would just bring this up front so Crackerkorean could see it.

coil

crackerkorean

Thanks coil.
I was thinking about fashioning something my self. This give me a place to start.
Now a trip to the depot to see what I can find.

YellowJacket!

I HAVE AN IDEA!!  :)  :D

While musing about how to repair my YICS, I recalled the discussion of using some aluminum bottles of a certain size and volume as areplacement for the YICS Chambrers but it did not seem to work out.

My idea is to use to short lengths of PVC Pipe and two end caps on each pipe.  You can then drill out a hole for a vacuum hose connector.  The can be epoxied together or mounted on a bracket which will bolt into the original mounting point.  They can even be "dressed up" with some steel wire braid hose cover and caps for looks.  The idea came to me as I was searching my basement "spare parts graveyard" and came across some marshmallow guns that I made for my kids last year.  The guns are made from 1/2 and 3/4" PVC pipe.

Let me know if you think it is a good idea.  I'm going to make a mock up but have no way of testing it because I'm still rebuilding my bike.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

How does PVC hold up to the caustics of fuel & combustion? it might get soft..??
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kiawrench

i just went to NAPA , with my bottles in hand , and found hoses that fit the bottle on one end  and the nipples on the other. (i think were cooling sys hoses from an old toyota-- 10mm one end, tapers to 8 mm (internal ) these fit well and i used one fuel sys clamp per bottle ,but only pushed them onto nipples on the heads . i did use a bit of hairspray to slick the engine end up and help it seal, but the fit is really tight. there is no clamp on the engine end ,so if it backfires, the hose will pop off and not the bottle.

sooner or later, when my V is running again, i may paint the bottles ford blue and stick on some small  stickers from an old nitros kit .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Lucky

Quotesooner or later, when my V is running again, i may paint the bottles ford blue and stick on some small  stickers from an old nitros kit .

Hmmm.....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Blake

i can tell you from first hand experience that gas eats away at pvc (and at a lost faster pace, carb cleaner)  It turns it gooey and makes it brittle.  We used it when i was younger for spud guns (potato cannons) and experiemented with gas and carb cleaner (which appeard to work the best) but after a few weeks one literally fractured apart and just looking at the inside of it you could tell something was dissolving the pvc. (after that we only used propane)

but then again, we were using very high pressures.  but i would suspect some fuel sitting in the pvc tubes would have the same effect.

just my experience with gas and pvc.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."