UPDATE-yics substitute

Started by Wayne, April 26, 2005, 04:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

Certainly synq the carbs & set the pilots, that should help the bog, even with the wrong jets
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

VisionaryDan

Thanks Lucky,

As far as the pilots are concerned are you refering to the idle mixture screws? If so what's can these be set by vacum gage? Or is there a setting that is a good place to start? Right now they are set to 5 full turns out.

The service manual I have doesn't mention anything about setting the idle mixture.

Should syncing the carbs be done before or after setting the idle mixture?

Thanks,
Dan

fiddlesticks

Sync them first, then tune the screws. I believe 5 turns out is too much. But every bike is different. Mine are at 1 and a half. - 2 turns.
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

Junior

3.1 ounce. What would be  the results of useing this size ( Larger) instead of 2.3  70CC cyl ? ???

VisionaryDan

OK here are my calculations:

Actual ID (inside diameter) of pipe: 1.035 Dia = .5175 Radius

Inch to cm conversion: 2.54
.5175" * 2.54 = 1.3145 cm
5.0" * 2.54 = 12.7 cm

Area of a circle = radus squared multiplied by PI
(1.3145 * 1.3145) * 3.1415  =  5.4282 sq cm

Volume of  a cylinder = Area of the circle multiplied by height of cylinder
5.4282 sq cm * 12.7 cm = 68.9381 cc

If I'm wrong I can't see where.

Thanks,
Dan

Junior

Dan-Your calculations are correct. Were they for the one you constructed or for a 3.1 ounce bottle? Thanks

Junior

The 3.1 ounce bottles compute to 104CC.  I like these and would like to use them. Would this adversely affect the engine. Thanks

VisionaryDan

No the YICS alternative is made from 1" dia copper tubing 5" long with a 1/2" inlet in the middle. I was able to fit them under the tank and attach them to the frame with wire ties. It cost me about $20 in parts and 30 minutes of plumbing skills.

If anyone is intersted I'll post pictures.

Dan

RickJAB

RickJAB

Dan,
     I am interested in the pictures of your homemade YICS as it sounds like a
possible alternative.  I'd be curious to see how it works when your bike gets running better.   Please send updates on your long term use of your YICS.
Thanks,
Rick

mark_m

Hi Dan,

Yes definitelly post pictures - I have a feeling I'm going to need a YICS replacement once I'm done checking my carb.

mark.

YellowJacket!

Looks like my idea of using the pipes caught on.  I'm in the process of putting my bike back together today.  I was going to mount the UYICS (Updated YICS) in the regular mounting spot arranged like a "V"  but it was too big.  I like dans idea of under the tank, so I'm going to try it too.

Dan,  Thanks for jumping on this.  It's my guess that you will be able to test it before I do, so let us all know.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

VisionaryDan

I'm trying to come up with a vaccum gage or a manometer to sync my carbs tonight. If I'm successful, and I can get my V running smoother to prove that the UYICS really work. I'll post pictures as soon after.

Thanks for the idea DaveTN,
Dan

h2olawyer

Dan -

Check the art & images link @ www.xz550.com.  There's a diagram of a manometer you can make for very little $.  It works great!  Built mine last year & used it twice, now.  Very sensitive.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

VisionaryDan

Didn't have much luck getting the carb sync completed last night.
Tried to use a vacuum gage and the two valve approach. The valves I ended up with are junk and almost impossible to adjust. Mean while the bike doesn't want to idle, kept dieing and flooding out in the middle of things. I played with it until the battery died.

So the battery is on charge and I will attempt it again but first I'm going to disable the new YICS and set everything back to the way it was. I'll check into making or buying a manometer in the mean time. If I can't get it going by next week I'll take it to the dealer and give him a shot at it.

I'll let you know if it's my new YICS or poorly tuned carbs that are my problem.

Dan

ProfessorRex

A manometer is incredibly easy to make.

Things you need:
-A stick (old broomstick, old pool cue, etc...)
-A clear tube with and inside diam of 1/4in (length can vary, mine is 6 feet, H20 uses more than twice that)
-some leftover oil (motor oil works great)
-a couple of zip ties, and maybe a couple hose clamps

I made mine with:
Old pool cue, 6ft of clear tube, two sip ties, two hose clamps on the ends, some motor oil I found (very very little, it was what was left in an empty bottle).  I zip tied the hose to the pool cue, and it works beautifully.  As far as setting the middle point, it's not necessary.  If the carbs are out of sync the oil will move in one direction, when in sync the fluid won't move.

As far as YICS vs Poorly tuned carbs, I'd say carbs as long as the YICS and the associated hoses aren't leaking.

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Lucky

Yeah, i gotta get that stupid vacuume guage thing off my site someday...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

VisionaryDan

At Last!

I made a up a manometer and with some tinkering got a good reading and balanced the carbs. I did this with the YICS disconnected and I found it was much easier.

The bike seemed to still be running a bit rough so decided that an earlier setting change on the idle mixture might have been premature. I should know better - when trouble shooting only change one thing at a time. Even though five full turns out on the idle mixture seems a bit excessive I went back to original setting. Road tested bike and it ran good (still with YICS disconnected).

This morning I took off the home made YICS chambers and thoroughly pressure tested them to 50psi. No leaks. I put them back in the bike and started it. The idle immediately jumped up to 3000rpm. I backed off on the idle speed adjustment and the old girl purred and reved and settled back down to an idle nicely.

Then the test ride. I didn't know what I was missing. Wow! what a difference getting the carbs setup and to have a functioning YICS, make on this bike.?

I have pics of the copper YICS chambers. I hope to post them later today or tomorrow.

Thanks for everyones help,
Dan

YellowJacket!

YellowJacket!