Main Menu

Help?

Started by TixonPB, October 25, 2009, 07:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TixonPB

Alright. The bike has been running fine for about 2 weeks now. Everything was going fine so i went on a ride with some family and friends (about 5 of us). About 2 1/2 hours into the ride, she was running fine when we got to a stop sign and i got left and had to wait for a car to go by. Well, by the time i got past the stop sign, I had to catch up with the group, so I took her up to about 8,000 rpm through all the gears till i caught up. Well after i caught up, the bike started to act like it was out of gas, so i flipped to reserve. as soon as we got the next stop sign, she died and we could get her started. when we fiddled around with the fuel line, she started but wouldn't stay running and started dumping gas on the side of the road. so i rode back to my house with my cousin and we went back and picked her up. I know the bike had a in-line filter for a while but it was a straight-thru that caused the fuel line to kink, so i took it off and havent gotten a new one on yet. Any ideas whats going on?

Kojo

It sounds like the sudden jump in RPMs might have worked loose a bit of dirt or rust from the inside of the tank (A little is all it takes) and might have gotten caught in the carbs. It's very similar to the symptoms my bike had before I did some carb work. That's my guess.
Younger, but just as smart. Really.

Extent

Where was the gas draining out from? It does sound like what happened to me when I put in an inline filter and managed to kink the fuel line, but you've already dealt with that.

Could debris from the tank stick the floats open?
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Kojo

If it was from the overflows and it was flooding everything out it may be a float valve adjustment in order.
Younger, but just as smart. Really.

Tiger

:) Removing and not replacing the in-line fuel filter wasn't a good idea...However, whats done is done...but get a new one fitted a.s.a.p.

A couple of things to try:

1 - Give the float bowls a couple of decent taps as the float(s) may just be stuck... :-\

2 - Remove the top of the carbs (with the bodies still in situ). Carefully remove the float and float needle and flush through with carb cleaner, repeat with the other carb and rebuild.
Clean out the float bowls and replace the carb tops.
With a new in-line filter fitted, put the petcock to prime, wait a few minutes and go through your normal starting procedure... ;)

Let us know the results... :-\

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Extent

you also can use a straight through fuel filter, you just need to make a longer loop of fuel line to keep it from kinking, so if your old filter is still in good shape you can just get some new fuel line and call it a day on that end.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

TixonPB

Alrighty. I finally got to mess with the bike again today. First things first. I went out to start the bike and it idled for about 30 seconds and then went crazy and lost power.But it did NOT dump gas. I took off the tank and airbox and started the bike without the tank or airbox on so i could spray carb cleaner (it says on the carb cleaner not to spray without bike running). The bike ran fine! no hesitation at all. I sprayed the cleaner, then put the airbox back on. Started it again and it still ran fine. As soon as i hooked up the gas tank and gas lines, it ran for another 30 seconds and then went sporadic. It would only run as long as i kept the throttle twisted, if i let off, it would die, but still no dumping gas. I really have no idea what part of the carb is the float bowls. I regret to say that I am not familiar with carbs at all :( and have no idea what part of the carb is what. Pictures would be a great help. :)

EDIT: I did put an in-line filter in. Picked one up from autozone.

Brian Moffet

Try running it without the tank cap on.

TixonPB

I tried that. Still didnt want to run.

don_vanecek

This also sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere-check and see if everything is connected and plugged. Even just forgetting to plug the fuel pump line back in will make the bike run like crap.

Brian Moffet

Actually, the 30 seconds sounds like the petcock is not letting fuel past?  Try putting it on prime and make sure that fuel is flowing?  Since it works without the tank, the problem seems like it would be in the tank systems, vacuum to the petcock, fuel line from the petcock, the petcock itself, the gas cap, etc...

TixonPB

Fuel flows through the petcock fine. That's why I'm stumped. I also checked to make sure that th main fuel line isn't stopped up a d it isn't.

akvision

Pull the carb and disassemble carefully and in an orderly way.  Take pictures along the way. 
I would bet it is plugged and just needs a going through... Lucky has a CD with full instruction.
It is really not all that bad.  It will never self correct.  Just do it.  There is lots of help on this site.
Don't be in a hurry, and take time.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

vadasz1

Open the gas cap and see if that fixes it.  If so then get a new cap or replace the seal in the old one.

Just guessing.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

YellowJacket!

I had the same problem this summer.  One of the guys...QBS maybe...suggested removing the carb drain screws, draining the gas and shooting some carb cleaner spray in the bowls.  I did it and it worked.  I think I had something stick one of my floats and YJ ran like crap and leaked gas all over the place.  Alls well now since doing that.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

TixonPB

I can try that if I knew what part was what part. I am not familiar with carbs so i'm feeling kinda helpless. I like your idea David, but i don't know what part of the carb is what. Is there any chance I could beg for some kind of pictures? That way i can give it a shot without have to take the carbs out because from the top down, there is no sign of dirt or gunk anywhere in the carbs.

Tiger

:) Looking at the carbs from the left side (as you sit on the Vision)...at the bottom left of each one, there is a hex' brass bolt head...see it...yep that's it ;)...remove and drain gas from each one. I use a piece of paper towel...this catches the gas but also shows up any crap that drained out... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Those brass bolts are also the jet covers, so be careful of what comes out of them when you drain them.  That is how I did mine though.

David

Edit:
Heres the post I made earlier this year when it happened to me.  Some good pictures too:
http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=10641.0

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

TixonPB

Alrighty. I have so far sprayed carb cleaner thru the bowls and it has finally stopped spittin out gunk. And when I tap the side of the bowl, I hear a tinking jiggle onside, so I assume the floats are good. I'll let u guys know how it turns out as soon as I get it all back together.

TixonPB

Well, as far as I can tell, she's back to her normal self :)  I was able to start her up and she ran and idled better than before, but I only ran her for about 3 minutes, so the real test will be to see if she idles tomorrow and possibly can take her on a shakedown cruise around the block before I go to work. :) Thanks for the help everyone :)