News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Help?

Started by TixonPB, October 25, 2009, 07:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TixonPB

Well fellas, the gremlins are thriving at my house. I took her out on a ride today and took her around the area a good 6 times to make sure she wasnt going to act up again. After that I headed in to town. About halfway there, she started running badly again, and It was like I lost fire on one of the cylinders. The tach and everything was working, so i figured it was the rear cylinder. Would faulty plug wires cause the rear cylinder to stop firing. I just replaced the plugs about 2 months ago, so I know they are still good.

Tiger

Quote from: TixonPB on November 15, 2009, 12:53:04 PM
Would faulty plug wires cause the rear cylinder to stop firing.

I just replaced the plugs about 2 months ago, so I know they are still good.

:) Yes, it could...

and

:) NEVER assume...at the very least, pull the spark plugs, (what colour are they??), clean, gap them and check that you have a good spark, before you put them back in. I would put another set in anyhow...but that's just me!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

TixonPB

Where could I get a new plug wire set?

QBS

Does the bike idle as normal?  If yes, does the rear cylinder cut out at approx. 2k rpm?

TixonPB

It idles like it always had. It just stopped when I got home and messed with rear plug.

Tiger

Quote from: TixonPB on November 15, 2009, 03:42:26 PM

:) A brand new set of spark plug wires/caps, custom made to order and shipped to any location...only $27.50 + (actual) shipping.......from......Tiger!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

seabee

Quote from: Tiger on November 15, 2009, 09:06:26 PM
Quote from: TixonPB on November 15, 2009, 03:42:26 PM

:) A brand new set of spark plug wires/caps, custom made to order and shipped to any location...only $27.50 + (actual) shipping.......from......Tiger!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Without resistors?
***1982 Yamaha XZ 550 Vision***

67GTO

Tiger's plug wires/caps are better quality than original  :)
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

TixonPB

Before I jump for new plugs and everything, Is there really anything else that could cause the cylinder that doesn't run the tach to die? The strange thing is that the tach didn't act any different, I just lost fire on one cylinder so i took forever to get up to 55 and it was running horribly.

QBS

Rev limiter.  Others can point to which wire to disconnect.  Better yet, do a seach on "rev limiter".  There have been endless discussion on the subject.

Tiger

Quote from: QBS on November 16, 2009, 12:34:46 AM
Rev limiter.  Others can point to which wire to disconnect.

:) Remove the rear cover to the Gauge cluster, (three philips head screws), locate the black/yellow wire near the centre, disconnect and isolate with a piece of heat shrink or electrical tape. Reinstall the back plate...Voila!!!

Let us know the results when you fire her back up...

8).......TIGER....... 8)

YellowJacket!

Quote from: 67GTO on November 15, 2009, 09:54:32 PM
Tiger's plug wires/caps are better quality than original  :)

I'll second that!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

TixonPB

The rev limiter is the yellow and black wire going into the TCI box right? Because that was already cut when I got the bike.

Night Vision

Quote from: TixonPB on November 16, 2009, 12:21:22 AM
Before I jump for new plugs and everything, Is there really anything else that could cause the cylinder that doesn't run the tach to die? The strange thing is that the tach didn't act any different, I just lost fire on one cylinder so i took forever to get up to 55 and it was running horribly.

recently, there was a Vision that had a bad pickup that caused it to become a thumper...

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?PHPSESSID=kbs1udjg2qr7uq7made0if9nl3&topic=11056.msg102080#new
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

TixonPB

I may have had a realization. Would it be possible that the rear cylinder dying is what happened before. Maybe that is why it started dumping gas because the front cylinder was running and the rear cylinder was not taking any gas, so it just overflowed the rear carb. Isthat possible? That would explain alot.

YellowJacket!

No, the float should keep the carb from overflowing.  You may still have some goo in there that broke loose and is causing the same problem again.

David

TixonPB

Well it wasn't leaking this time as far as I know but it has the same symptoms as before so I didn't know if I was possible for the rear cylinder not going could cause it. Righ now if it stops running on the rear cylinder, it doesn't want to run at all.

YellowJacket!

I think its contaigous!  Opened my garage door to the smell of gas and YJ pee'd a puddle of gas on my garage floor.  Coming from the overflow.

Ugh.  I guess she doesn't want to be winterized just yet.  LOL

David

QBS

Inline fuel cutoff valves....Don't leave home, or the garage without them.

Night Vision

another nice thing about the inline cutoff is you can run the carbs dry... there's a little left that the drain screws will take care of, but mostly, they empty out
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano