News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Newbie Smell Getting Worse

Started by Back_in_the_Saddle, April 24, 2004, 07:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back_in_the_Saddle

Ok, so I checked the carb, looks good, shiny even. Drained and flushed radiator, changed oil. New plugs, and checked and cleaned all connectors. Greased cables, new air and fuel filter. Still won't start, fine, many more things to check. So I moved to the starter, pulled it out, tore it down, cleaned it, back together, and click click click. At least before it was trying to start, now all i get is a clicking from the solenoid. Did I not put the starter back correctly, or is this something else. Just looking for some opinions. Battery is new, although I may have drained it. Checked connections on battery, solenoid and starter, looks good. Again, thanks for any help or direction. And yes, I did do searches through the forum. None seemed to apply to my situation.

wolfman

I will only suggest that it is perfectly acceptable to "jump start" a V with a weak or drained battery. (I have had to many times before sorting out my electricals) might be worth a shot. (I actually use a battery charger, not a car, to do so..)

Lucky

Did you bench test the starter? if you have the small planeatry gears a tooth off it'll bind up.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

scootertramp

Three things.
Air
Gas
Spark

I checked my Ground wire and cleaned my terminal and ground bolt.

I installed an inline fuel filter first. made sure my tank was clean. it had this MUD in it.  then made sure gas was going to the carbs. Then those 4 and a half turns of that scwoo helped a lot.
fully charged batt and a battery box for that extra oomph.  two weeks later: after new wars and a carb refit she cranked up. and charged for two thousand miles.
I'm redoing  my stator now. plus a few more fixxs.  
check all your connectors. and go ahead and hardwire what you can.
mine likes a swaller of gas and then a good crank and she fars right up.  purrs like a big ol' kitten..
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a