rear exhaust gasket :gasket update:

Started by hmmmnz, December 05, 2009, 04:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmmmnz

hey guys, well it looks like im going to buy oem, i can't get any gaskets the bike shops have had in stock to work,,

any way the question,

is the 400 rear exhaust gasket the same as the 550??
does any one know??

cheers
grrrr

Tiger

:) I get mine from these guys...

...I also get my Tapered steering head bearings, wheel bearings, fork seals/dust caps and front brake pads from them 8)

They (claim to) cover, all makes/models/years and have world wide delivery at good prices/rates. I've had excellent service from these people... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

hmmmnz

yeah i dealt with them when i was living in scotland,  but usually just use wemoto, but they don't have the rear gasket listed, for the 550,  and nothing at all for the 400
grrrr

The Prophet of Doom

I measured my 550 gaskets so you can compare to you 400s,  Couldn't find my micrometer, but with a carpenters ruler they measure about 40mm outside, 30mm inside.

Some on ebay now
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-Yamaha-XZ550-Muffler-Gasket-11H-14714-01_W0QQitemZ220473875831QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3355445d77

hmmmnz

Quote from: roro on December 06, 2009, 12:30:34 AM
I measured my 550 gaskets so you can compare to you 400s,  Couldn't find my micrometer, but with a carpenters ruler they measure about 40mm outside, 30mm inside.

Some on ebay now
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-Yamaha-XZ550-Muffler-Gasket-11H-14714-01_W0QQitemZ220473875831QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3355445d77

cheers bud, ill have a measure of my y link pipe and see if that will work,
i never got any gaskets when i bought the bike, (exhaust was a rotten mess) already off the bike
so just went to the local bike shops (none are yamaha dealers) and tryed to find some that would work, the front ones were sweet to find, but i couldnt find any that were a tight/snug fit for the rear
grrrr

The Prophet of Doom

Hmmm - the front and rear gaskets are the same where they hit the cyl head (4H7-14613-00-00).  That's the 30mm-40mm one made of copper with white stuff on the outside edge.  I only know because I have a spare top end gasket set.
Further south of that wierd clamp arrangement there is another gasket (11H-14714-01-00) before the Y pipe - Not sure what size that is, and cannot tell without dissembly.  There is also another between the Y pipe and the whole muffler assembly.  Neither of these are avaiilable from Yamaha NZ - at least by the part number in the Fiche I have (US83 model).  I just used a big tube of exhaust sealer, and put up with the leaks.

No doubt that this is one batshit crazy exhaust system.  You need to be a Cirque De Soleil contortionist to get it together.

hmmmnz

Quote from: roro on December 06, 2009, 04:30:32 AM
Hmmm - the front and rear gaskets are the same where they hit the cyl head (4H7-14613-00-00).  That's the 30mm-40mm one made of copper with white stuff on the outside edge.  I only know because I have a spare top end gasket set.
Further south of that wierd clamp arrangement there is another gasket (11H-14714-01-00) before the Y pipe - Not sure what size that is, and cannot tell without dissembly.  There is also another between the Y pipe and the whole muffler assembly.  Neither of these are avaiilable from Yamaha NZ - at least by the part number in the Fiche I have (US83 model).  I just used a big tube of exhaust sealer, and put up with the leaks.

No doubt that this is one batshit crazy exhaust system.  You need to be a Cirque De Soleil contortionist to get it together.

lol, thats handy, yeah its the 11h gaskets i need,
the rest of the exhaust system is modified, and doesnt use gaskets between the y and the collector box,
grrrr

Lucky

yeah, there is no gasket between the Y & collector
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

hmmmnz

according to the diagram there is,

but my exhaust has been rusted and repaired so i no longer have the tapered bit where the gasket would sit,
just a tight fit and some gum gum to seal it now,

i have managed to find a set of 11h gaskets out of oz, so hopefully the'll be here in a couple of days,
i also have a yamaha dealer looking through his aftermarket suppliers to see if he can find alternative
gaskets,

fun times
grrrr

hmmmnz

update:   apparently the fz750 uses the same gasket, ive got a couple on the way, so will confirm tomorrow,
this is brilliant if they fit, as they are $7nzd (about $4usd) each and are in plentyful supply

ill report back tomorrow with details and part numbers
grrrr

Lucky

I stand corrected, but will append my earlier statment.  the rear Y pipes doesn't use a gasket with the Mac exhaust...  :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

hmmmnz

hehe, oh to have a decent exhaust system available over here,
we have to make do with modified rusty standard systems,
we don't even salt out roads, and all the systems ive seen over here are falling to peices in under 30000km, i'd hate to see one that has been through a couple of uk salty winter roads
grrrr

The Prophet of Doom

You are in luck Hmmmmnz, you live in one of the few places where replacements are available

Check out cycleworks.co.nz
+64 4 939 2925

vadasz1

Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

hmmmnz

thats weird, my mate worked for cycle works untill a couple of months ago, and he has 2 xz400's with rusty exhausts,
ill have to have a word to him, useless bugger, :D  all my exhaust system is fixed now, bar these gaskets,
grrrr