News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Tire Advise

Started by Shane Mooney, April 16, 2004, 06:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane Mooney

Time for some new tires.  Think the old V rated Metzlers were a little overkill.  Anything out there in the $80 range.  Advise appreciated.

Shane

Blake

dunno about 80 bucks..

i (literally) just bought a set of supervenoms (avon) 100 front, 120 back..   100 bucks a pop..  all i can say is HOLY CRAP..

yes..that is all i will say... holy crap.....i never knew i could lean over that far.. feel is AWESOME..

funny part is.. the dealership i bought em from..was trying to push EVERYTHING BUT avons on me..because no one he knew used em..   i let him ride it and he was amazed too.. (at the vision too..since he rides a 600rr)

Blake... (lots of pictures after next weekend of the trip with the avons on...)
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Rick G

In the 80.00 range the Bridgestone Spitfire is a great choice, I'm impressed with mine  and they wear very well!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

Ditto for my Battlax's $80 ft, $85 rear, a few years ago.  only minor problem with them is that they need to be good & warmed up.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

PeteN

A couple of tires that are reasonable and work well:

Bridgestone BT45 (rear is dual compound) and Dunlop GT501 (based on old K591s), both in the 80ish range, or less mailorder.

FYI,
Pete
Pete

Riche

Last summer I mail ordered Avon supervenom AM18 for about $180 delivered. 100/90X19 TL and 110/90X18 TL. Both these tires are for front/rear use. There are different opinions about the rear tire size. 110 is stock I believe. Blake is so right about how they feel on the bike. The Vision felt ok in the corners but with the Avons WOW.
http://www.avonmotorcycle.com/mcycle_product/Images2002/AM20_18_SUPERVENOM.pdf

(edit:041904) Sorry, front is 100/90X18 TL AM20

MotorPlow

This is what I get from my tire supplier: http://www.swmototires.com , when I inquired about Avon Super Venums.

"Sorry but the 90/90-18 front is not imported anymore. You will need to
change to the Roadrunner front and rear.
They are listed on my site.
Tires should be changed at least annually.
Always keep a spare pair."

Anyone use the Road Runners,  They are H rated.  I really like www.swmototires.com -- Free shipping when ordering 2 or more tires and haven't found anyone to beat thier prices.

Chris

jasonm.

100/90-18 is what to use on the front and a 110 or 120 on the rear. I have super venoms 100ft./ 110 rr. Yes, they are great on my '82. My '83 has Metzs. The Avons are better by a small bit. Mainly cornering.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Dale Knox

I have an 82 Vision and am currently using Bridgestone BT45, 100/80 front and 110/90 rear. It is the best combintion that I have had on the Vision, so far. The BT45 seem to be holding up well, 2000 mile on them so far.

Dale