News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

can i put the taller handlebars on my 83

Started by starfire, January 10, 2010, 11:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starfire

hi right now its stock but I've got the 82s also there taller can i put them on the 83 without it hitting the windshield flair????? ??? ???
mom said visions are like a box of chocolate's you never know how far your going to get

Re-Vision

I think I recall H20 saying that you might bump the fairing at either extreme with the 82 risers but you can use either riser as the fairing is the same on 82 and 83 models.   BDC

QBS

inanecathode

You'll hit the fairing, and without changing the pegs too you'll end up all scrunched up and uncomfortable.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Tiger

:) You can put the '82 risers on your '83 but you will come across a couple of problems... :P

1 - The master cylinder will come in to contact with the fairing, which will stop you achieving full lock...however, is not (IMO) a big deal... ;)

2 - The cables on an '83 are shorter than on an '82...that will be a problem!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

Longer 82 cables are easier to come by.

turn the bars right & the master will just scrape the inside of the windshield.  i bent a small tab of metal to "clip" on the windshield.  the corner of the master slides over this instead of gouging the windshield.

with the taller risers, the 82 pegs work well. good upright riding position with the full fairing.  not very sporty, more touring.

--Lucky

Quote from: Tiger on January 10, 2010, 08:55:55 PM
:) You can put the '82 risers on your '83 but you will come across a couple of problems... :P

1 - The master cylinder will come in to contact with the fairing, which will stop you achieving full lock...however, is not (IMO) a big deal... ;)

2 - The cables on an '83 are shorter than on an '82...that will be a problem!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

starfire

mom said visions are like a box of chocolate's you never know how far your going to get

jasonm.

I agree w/QBS.
But if you want more leverage...add some tubing to the ends as I did...2 inches each side. Gives more relaxed feel to me. But it depends on your physique.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

funkamongus

So,, (sorry, for my own uses, I dont mean to hijack but it is on the same subject!) I have an 82 and I have an 83 full fairing. Im not into the sport position, Id rather a cruiser,  but for a sport/touring mode, Are the 82 risers and footpegs gonna work with the 83 fairing? Just a scrape with the M.C. on the right?     
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

inanecathode

Quote from: funkamongus on January 17, 2010, 12:47:58 PM
So,, (sorry, for my own uses, I dont mean to hijack but it is on the same subject!) I have an 82 and I have an 83 full fairing. Im not into the sport position, Id rather a cruiser,  but for a sport/touring mode, Are the 82 risers and footpegs gonna work with the 83 fairing? Just a scrape with the M.C. on the right?     

Re-read the thread, yes it will but the mc will scrape.

Might want to monkey with the screen a bit if you're going to have the 82 ergos. You'll end up taller than the fairing really 'wants' you to be, might end up buffeting more.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

akvision

Hey, I have two  82's with fairings.. no problem with the foot pegs and no problem with the shifter and no problem with the handlebars or brake master cylinder.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

funkamongus

Great news. Thank you Ak. Didnt want to put lots o money and work into the fairing I have if it wasnt gonna be right...
I own:

funkamongus

why dont we, just for rooms sake. I feel bad we took up so much space with it.
I own:

h2olawyer

I noticed with the 82 ergonomics and 83 fairing (I already had the short risers) that I kept hitting my shin on the fairing lower when I'd stop & put a foot down.  Nothing major, but I never really got used to it.  Hasn't happened since I swapped over to the 83 rider pegs.  Not a big deal but thought I'd toss in what I experienced.

H2
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

jasonm.

I met a guy with an OLD BMW R100RS which is similar to a Vision 1983 in fairing and handlebar looks. He also had the brake just touch the fairing. He did not worry. Until he made a tight turn in a parking lot. Then he fell down. Bottom line...don't attempt it unless you have many spare parts and bandages.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules