News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

buzzing or ticking sound, engine won't turn over

Started by jono1798, December 30, 2009, 06:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jono1798

When I hit the start button the engine tries to start with strenuous effort. then it stops and a clicking sound comes from a cylindrical relay type thing which is connected to the positive end of the battery. The battery is new by the way.   Anyone have any ideas?
No man is rich enough to buy back the past.

funkamongus

try to jumper the power from the two tips on the cylindrical relay (the starer solenoid or relay). If it jumps over when you arc it (and it will spark, be confident and put it on there solid) its your relay. Relays can be replaced. Someone else will have to chime in on whether there is a direct replacement or a better Idea floating around.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

louie

I would maybe check the starter itself. Have you tried tapping the started while you hold the button. The starter maybe gummed up with dirt and crap, causing it to have a hard time turning. I am not to familiar with these bikes but it cant hurt to look right.

Good luck

Lucky

The nose of the starter sits below the oil level in the case.  when the seal in the nose of the starter wears out, the starter fills with oil & dies.

use jumper cables between the pos battery post & the starter post.  if the starter still turns slow, it's full of oil, or needs brushes.

drain the oil, take the starter apart & replace the seal.  specifics of this repair are all over this website.  use a replacement with a spring lip, replace the brushes if needed & ask any questions you need.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

inanecathode

Back up kids, lets make sure the battery is actually good before we start condemning other parts (although yes you should go through the starter anyway).
New batteries come dry, if you dont fill and charge them right they can go bad so fast it'll make your head spin.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

jono1798

I opened up the starter, there doesnt seem to be any oil, just a lot of black dust, also there is a thick square plastic washer type deal which is attached to the one of the brushes. It was broke in 3 pieces. I'm sure this wasn't helping matters.  I''v tried to locate the part online but I can't seem to find it. Do I have to purchase the whole "brush holder assembly"? Its $75 at http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/yamaha-motorcycle-xz550rj-1982/o/m18336

Also I need to find a double lip, spring seal, anyone know I can find these things?

Tiger

:) jono, try a local-to-you starter rebuild shop. I get a pair of brushes for $20.00 (Canadian). They may also have the part you need. Take it all along and ask what they would charge to service it for you... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

jono1798

So I got a kit to replace all the orings and brushes in my starter. Stuck it back in the bike. When I go to start her up the starter turns a few times then she fires up for about 2 seconds the dies. This was a great feeling as it was the first signs of life I heard out of her since I bought her. I feel like I'm very close to success but again, I haven't a notion what to do next.

Just to recap-  I cleaned the carb, and the starter, replaced the spark plugs and the battery.

Any thoughts lads?

funkamongus

You do sound really close! Sure you have gas flow? Whats happening? Just starts, runs, and then poof dead? It runs though? any other clues?
I own:

Lucky

i'd say keep trying, & play with the choke some.  sometimes full choke is too much....

jono1798

I kept at it and rrrrrummmm success, for about 30 seconds. What a feelin!! I had the choke up full, she was revvin quite high. When I lowered the choke she died. Should I leave it on full choke for longer to heat up more?

funkamongus

yes, do what you must to keep it going for a bit and she'll get friendlier. Ride it around a while and things get even better.. it just takes a bit for her  wake up,, they wake up slow!!!
I own:

Lucky

On one of my Visions (the one i suspect needs the valve adjustment) she's hard to start, lots of cranking on full choke, especially when it's cold outside. then when it does start if i turn the choke down too fast she dies.  i have to v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y- move the choke down halfway to get the idle lower, then keep it there a min or two then take it off.  still takes a couple of miles till she's fully warmed up, so you may have a finiky one there yourself.

--lucky

jasonm.

Quote from: Tiger on December 31, 2009, 06:51:37 PM
:) jono, try a local-to-you starter rebuild shop. I get a pair of brushes for $20.00 (Canadian). They may also have the part you need. Take it all along and ask what they would charge to service it for you... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Dennis Kirk sells this part # 200931., I believe it is the same bushes w/o mounting plate. Also about $20 for the set. got to their site . I suspct total w/shipping will be about $26 at most
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

inanecathode

Leave the choke on (adjust it a bit so you have a sane idle speed) until it starts to want to idle faster, then turn it down. Lather rinse repeat, if your idle circuits are bueno it should idle fine after a tune.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

jono1798

Ok, I have no problem starting up now. When I do get the choke down now, the revs are at about 4000. Whats my next step, I know I have to sync the carbs, is there anything else?

funkamongus

yes,, have you adjusted your valve lash yet? thats the first real step to syncing and set-up. make sure you have no vacuum leaks, if you cant get it to rev down, may be that. May also be the YICS, if you cap the engine ports from it and it goes away, it probably needs to be cut open, lapped, and cut a gasket for it and seal it with red RTV, clamp it overnight, and voila. If all that is good, get engine nice and worm,, very warm, and sync with a fan running on engine to keep it cool, with these water cooled it may not be such a problem. Adjust your mixture by screwing in slowly until cylinder starts to sputter, screw out til evens out, then another 1/8 turn for good measure, then the other side. Then do your Idle (to about 12 or 1300 I think), Check your mix again, Idle Again. sync side to side at idle with stop knobs, mix, idle, sync, sync off idle with sync rod, mix, idle, check at idle and off idle and tweak until perf. The basic thought is that each effects the other. so, its a process. Mix wont change much if at all, I just threw it in for thoroughness.
PS battery tip top, air cleaner tip top, oil level good, fuel filter inline, etc.
I own:

jono1798

funkamongus

I own:

jono1798

Any suggestions on purchasing a pressure gauge or manometer?