'82 carbs, my first time

Started by fret not, January 08, 2010, 03:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fret not

All the information here, at Lucky's site, and on his DVD are really appreciated and very helpful, but there is nothing like experience to smooth things along.  Experience is what you get right after you need it.

This winter I am going through 2 sets of '82 carbs, the early ones for practice before I get into the later ones.  I had a problem getting one emulsifier tube out and no matter what I tried it wouldn't come out.   It would twist and squeek, get looser and then tighter, and the slot I cut in the "hat" was wearing away.  I finally just drilled a hole in the slot and stuck a guitar string (with a tiny hook bent in the end) in and with the combination of pulling ans twisting with a screwdriver it finally came out.  After it ws cleaned up I soldered the hole closed.  In the process tapping the carb body to jar the emulsifier free the main venturi fell out!  I was surprised as i didn't know it could come out.  I had removed the small venturi previously, as the instructions dictated, but not the larger main venturi.  There was significant brown dust and stain behind it against the wall of the main bore of the carb body.

I know Lucky warned about the weight and ball under the accelerator nozzle, but I lost one ball in the process.  Shouldn't be too difficult to find a 3mm ball to replace it, but this sort of thing is why I'm saving the later carbs for a little later when I have more experience with these things.  I'm getting better, really I am. ;)

What about the adjuster needles with the spring and washer on them?  I have seen only a spring on a needle, not with the padded washer.  The metal washer seems attached to the spring and has a flexible surface that seats against the end of the passage the needle goes into.  Perhaps this is a Yamaha design, as I have not seen it in Kehin or other Mikuni carbs.  I spent 9 years in a fairly large dealership parts dept. (Honda, Kawasaki, BMW, Montesa, CanAm, and later Suzuki) and don't remember anything like these.  Or are these not original?  The parts fiche drawings are not detailed enough for anything like this, and if it is covered in the shop manual I missed it.

Shop manual says to measure the fuel level in the float bowls, why not a measured float setting like other carbs use? 

Both the inner and outer venturies seem to be made of a different material than the carb body, as they form a light gray dust on their surfaces as they dry after being soaked and washed.  I put a light coat of oil on them to keep them from "evaporating" or forming dust and sediment. 

Anyway, it is going to be a good long haul to get through my list to get this baby running.  It has been sitting for a good long while, like so many others.

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Lucky

The pilot needles should be: needle, spring, metal washer, rubber o-ring. the o-ring may still be in there, use your hook to pull it out, or the PO may have rigged it..??

reread the manual, you preset the float level by adjusting the tang on the float, & double check it with the clear tube level method.

main Venturi falling out: you have a screw loose or missing (as we all do!)

you got the e-tube out, that's all that matters, soldering it up should be fine.

i probably have a spare weight ball if you don't find one, $87.50 plus shipping ;)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black