News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Some news and clutch trouble....

Started by J-Et., December 27, 2009, 05:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-Et.

Hy, Merry Christmas to all ! (ok it's a bit too late)
Sorry for not give a news from 6 month but many changes in my job and everything ... (i'm working back in the manual for french and german)
Anyway, Good news, I've change the cam-chain and the engine run very fine now ! ! !  I'm happy as a kid  ;D
So I've finished the all other things, (brakes, wheels, fork, .....) an the bike was ready for the first ride test yesterday !
I was thinking all was fine on the stand but when i want ride, the bike don't move....
I've tried to warm the engine and may others ways find on the Internet but nothing....
Did anyone got a good idea, Is there a way to repair the clutch without remove it because it don't look easy to remove on that bike !

lexx790

Hello m8 and a merry Christmas to you.
Sorry I can't help you as I haven't got that far in my engine strip down.
Good luck with getting the bike going.

funkamongus

Damn, me either.. You're almost there!! Im sure someone will come by and give some more info.. Can you give more detail? Have you adjusted your cable properly? What, exactly, does it do when you put it in gear? 
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Tiger

:) J-Et, more information from you will help to diagnose the problem and help give you an answer......When you start your Vision, can you get it in to gear ??

:-\ Sometimes the clutches "freeze" after a Vision sits around for a looooooooong period. This may or may not be the problem :-\

To free a frozen clutch, take your Vision off of the centre stand, put it in gear and rock your Vision...really hard...back and forward. You normally get a loud "crack" when it frees off...

However, you could just need the cable adjusting or... :-\

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

J-Et.

After a loooong warming and using the tiger method for a loooooong time :
IT WORKS !!!!!!
;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
It's done the bike has ride for the first time since 1991 ! just a fiew time on a parking but it's done !
A lot of thanks to all of you for advises and help ! !
I should leave for job tonight but next time i go back to my parents home, i will take pictures or a little video  ;) and do my first ride on the XZ ! ! !
That's a very good Christmas !
My turn now to help the others, i will finish my job on the manual.

QBS

Please let us know how it feels for you, the first time you shift from 1st to 2nd gear at 9500 rpm.

YellowJacket!

Congratulatios J-Et!!!!!!  You are now a RIDER of Vision!!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

J-Et.

Thank's for congratulations !
I'm very unpatient to do my first "ride of vision"  ;D
Promis I give you my feelings  ;)

J-Et.

Hy !
As i promis some news, no video, to much rain...
This WE it was no more snow or ice in my parent's home, so i bring the bike to my mechanic for sync the carbs.
The engine sound has changed immediately  ;D Now it start really easy cold or warm !
So i made a little ride  ;D  ;D  ;D so fun and that sound  ::)  ::)
I was very soft during that ride, wait for warming the engine and don't go to hy RPM.

But I've got a fiew questions, again  ::) :

-> the main fuse is writen in the fus box 30A but the fuse in place was a 20A ? is there any good reason for that ? I ask because the fuse turn of... i replaced it by a 20A yet, it works but for how long...

-> Is that possible to repair the exhaust ? i mean, the left one is fine but the right one is pierced on the bottom, all the smoke get out fron this hole. Each time i stoped i was on a fog...

-> The main trouble : The engine run very well when your on the stand. When it's riding, the engine is fun from 1500 to 4500 rpm but hard to get hy RPM from 4500 to 5500... (no ! at that rpm it began to be fun !) The mechanic tell me to ride a fiew hundred km befor seraching the trouble, the bike need to run. Any ideas ?

A pictures of the bike :

kev10104

funkamongus

Nicely done Tiger.. Stumble has no easy way right? here goes.
Well J-et, sounds like the infamous stumble to me. Thats a carburetor job. There are nozzles in the carb that shoot fuel into the carb and past the butterfly, it has to be "cone" shaped, not just a stream. Need to take the nozzles out with vice grips, and clean them very well. There are some parts in there, a spring, a ball, etc. Dont lose them and replace as you found, clean, and your stumble will be gone.
Did I miss anything?? I havent done this yet, on the bike, so Im regurgitating what I read. If youre better than me at the search function, you can find "carb and nozzle" information in here somewhere. I cant find it.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Re-Vision

Twenty Amp fuse was probably installed by someone who didn't have the correct fuse. Replace it with a thirty Amp fuse and and don't worry about it, if it hasn't blown at twenty it sure wont blow at the higher Amperage protection.   BDC

jasonm.

If the bike absolutely slows down @4500 rpm. Then this stumble is like what on the '82 I had. It was the accel nozzle(s) plugged, as Funk describes. It's easy to check by removing airbox cover. And twist the throttle(gas). And see if the brass nozzles are squirting.  If not there is a quick fix. You will see a small hose(right side) connecting the to carbs. This is the FEED of gas to the accel nozzles rear to front. Connecting a new hose(3mm)  with some air pressure and some carburator cleaner can fix it sometimes. If this is not the cause..If they doing the squirt then there are other possible causes..Many others have dicsussed the stumble. A SEARCH on here will find it.  ALSO THIS HOSE SHOULD be replaced with a modern plastic hose. Most rubber hoses will clog these nozzles. Chainsaws use these type of hoses for gas.  I have found a "greenish yellow hose made by Oregon chainsaw. They come in many sizes.you need 3 millimeter(mm)
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

akvision

J-Et,
I had a similar problem with my AkVision.. Started good and went good to about 4500 rpm, then blaaaaa. boggg..  
We did all the carb work and the electrics were all good... what is was, was

A mis-routed vaccum hose on the intake box.  It was installed backwards. The vaccum actuated flapper closed when it should have opened.  A symptom was that when I closed off the throttle the bike surged ahead for a moment.

The problem as earlier stated is carbs, clean and adjust... clean, clean, clean.   And......clean fuel.  good filters.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

J-Et.

Sorry no internet at home last days...
Ok, i need a bit of time to well translate everything... Thanks for the anwsers.
I will take time this week-end for translate all and made some search on the forum about what you said.