News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Build thread on my Yamaha XZR650 racebike to a street bike. SELLING BIKE

Started by johnclemens, January 31, 2010, 02:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Being nitpicky here.  What you guys have been calling a bolt is actually a phillips head screw, albeit a very unique one.

Tiger

Quote from: QBS on February 06, 2010, 09:06:14 PM
Being nitpicky here.  What you guys have been calling a bolt is actually a phillips head screw, albeit a very unique one.

...and not one that you can pick up at your local hardware store/supplier either ::)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Brian Moffet

Also sold as a pan-head bolt...  Ran across this definition:

Bolts are defined as headed fasteners having external threads that meet an exacting, uniform bolt thread specification (such as M, MJ, UN, UNR, and UNJ) such that they can accept a nontapered nut.  Screws are defined as headed, externally-threaded fasteners that do not meet the above definition of bolts.

Since these have a exacting, uniform bolt thread definition, I think they qualify...   ;D

But anyway, I am attempting to replace one.

lexx790

I was under the impression that a bolt would only be threaded for the end portion whereas a screw has thread all the way up to the head. Doesn't apply to bolts/screws under 30mm long but say for a 60mm thread length, a bolt would have 30mm of thread where a screw would have 60mm. But there are always exceptions to these rules.
Like this roofing bolt, which looks like what your looking for Brian.-

Lucky

you can buy anodized hardware many places, you can also go to almost any automotive store & buy kits with covers for the bolts & hoses/wiring.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

Yeah, those roofing bolts are close, but the head is not large enough and they don't have the collar (which keeps the fairing lower from shifting under the bolt...)

I might just have to spring for the new ones.  If I do and they are correct I'll let people know.

Brian

Kenny

Hi,
   I am using a SS allen headed bolt with a large SS washer & rubber spacer beneath the head,on the top of the bracetI have a small spacer similiar to a thick washer.This takes the space of the extrusion below the oem style screw head.
          Cheers Ken S. ;)
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

johnclemens

Tonight I spent a little time working on the front end. I have ordered bearings I hope will fit....
And I also worked on the wiring diagram for my lights and switches.

Mostly though I needed to pull apart my old Porsche Transmission. Its been a little tough to shift and I am rebuilding it. So I pulled it apart tonight to see what parts I needed. Looks like its just the syncro rings and maybe a bearing.
I'll order those tomorrow. I need to get the motor back in before spring.
Too many projects!!

Hopefully I will have the Headstock back from the machine shop next week.The shaft in the middle was too short. The headstock on the FZR400 is longer than a 2007 Suzuki GSXR. So the machine shop will cut it and turn a shaft that will go up the middle with a shoulder. Then they will be welded back together and be a 1/2 inch longer. I'll shoot a couple of pictures after I get it back. You'll see how I did it.
Going to be out of town on business most of the week. I won't be able to do much on the Vision till the weekend.
Cheers

jasonm.

Quote from: QBS on February 06, 2010, 09:06:14 PM
Being nitpicky here.  What you guys have been calling a bolt is actually a phillips head screw, albeit a very unique one.
You say unique. The lowest phil screws on the lowers... Well mine are pretty common but with a LARGE HEAD and uses a rubber bushing to lock things in place and damp vibration. I guess they are the same as Brian's .
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

johnclemens

I got an evening to work on my bike tonight so I mounted up the Carbon pipes I scored on ebay.  Because they are made to go under the seat of an R1. They are a little strange mounted on the side. They have to go at a angle a little if I want to use the down pipes. Plus the labels are on the side kinda. I thought I would mock em up and see what they look like. I'm petty sure I could mount them straight up and down, but I would have to make a new pipe all the way up to the Carbon. . If you see in that one picture, I would just need to make a short connector pipe If they are mounted like this.

So what do you guys think about them mounted angled like. (if looking at the rear picture.) I know the right side is a little lower, I need to fine tune the mounts. They are just roughed in till I decide if I like it.
So, Like It?

fret not

Looks pretty good up an out of the way.  Not going to roast anything, so, clean!   You've done stuff like this before, huh. ;D
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Tiger

:) Hmmmmm, I like... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

QBS

Looks great John.  What's not to like?  But really, I don't see where you any other viable options. 

pullshocks

Glad to see you are moving forward with this, John.  #38 was a very cool looking machine in race form, and I'd definitely ride down to see/hear when it sees the light of day again.  Are you sticking with the same fuel tank?
Mark / Seattle

johnclemens

I worked on it a little last night. I am some what at a stand still. I am waiting for the machine shop to machine down the Suzuki steering stem.
Also I decided to go a another route on the back. I really didn't like the angled pipes, Also the tail section is a little too big and there really is no seat to speak of, Soooo,
I have decided to use a stock Vision taillight and cover. Then take stock seat and cut it down to a single seater.
I'll fill in those grab bar mounting holes on the tail. I think it'll look cool and it'll have some old vision lines...
Did I see someone who had removed those handles and smoothed that all out? Pictures please?

Anyone have a taillight assy they will donate/sell cheap? just top and bottom. no handles or Yamaha logo needed.

Other than that, I can't complete the exhaust till I complete the tail section. I can't complete the front end till I get the steering stem figured out.

Lucky

I did..

Ok, now this is on a Vision frame, so your procedure may differ...

the tail mounts with the bolts thru the grab bars, so what i did was drop two bolts thru the top, anchor them down so they act as studs.  i used two cheap ikea type wrenches to keep them from turning because you cant't put a nut under them or they will sit too high where they mount on the fram. also, they can't move or they will crack whatever you fill the voids on the top with (i used Durhams water putty)

next, on the sides of the tail cone i installed nuts & run the bolts in from the inside. you have to leave a void to have room for the bolts again so the filler doesn't crack. i covered the installed bolts with grease & filled the voids. the grease allows you to back the bolts out without cracking the filler. fibergalss/bondo whatever you like to seal the whole thing in.

pics are here:
http://cid-bff952b9e3bde7b6.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/filling%20the%20tail%20voids?view=thumbs

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

johnclemens

Nice! Thanks Lucky. I love the fact that you did it in the Kitchen!!

pullshocks

I've got a tail light assembly I can pull off and ship down to you.  PM me your address.

johnclemens

Thanks for the offer!!! I was stoked to get going on this so I cruised the local junkyard and bingo. 30 bucks but I wanted to get going on it.
Check it out!!! I am really happy the way it fits this frame and the cut outs for the bolts are perfect for the pipe hangers. I just cut off the sub frame a bit. drilled some holes for mounting and it fit right on. I need to get some Dif spacers on the pipe bolts. Ones that are a little shorter to pull the pipes in a little bit more.  Also I will fill in the holes on the top and paint it.
Now I need to figure out how the hell to build a seat. But I think this tail piece looks bitchen!! I love the idea of using Vision stuff to tie in the old with the new. I might even use a square headlight....
I like the pipes mounted straight up and down too. I'll cut off the bent down tubes and build my own exhaust pipes to connect to the headers.
Cheers

jasonm.

John,  take the time to sand that tail piece and paint it. It looks correct when it's done. I have always said the 82's looked half assembled cause the factory would not paint the tail till the 83's came out. My 82 I painted the tail with pro quality stuff, and made the bike look complete. I think the pic is still in the gallery.  Even if you don't have the matching red paint. A good Black to match the frame might be worth it.  I like it so far...
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules