Build thread on my Yamaha XZR650 racebike to a street bike. SELLING BIKE

Started by johnclemens, January 31, 2010, 02:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikugun

I've seen this discussion before (outside of this forum) and find it interesting although It's admittedly beyond my understanding of electrons and there habits. Some of the articles I've read start with the disclaimer that the goings on inside the R/R are conjecture since the manufacturers keep certain proprietary circuitry/components unpublished. This has me wondering if anyone really knows precisely what's going on in there!

Just cause I like playing the devils advocate...What if the stator isn't under load 100% of the time despite having a permanent magnet? What if (through resistors set to different thresholds) the 3 stator legs are sequentially shut down (ie grounded) to limit output as system (DC) voltage increases? When grounded, is current actually produced to be "dumped" to ground?  Under this scenario, the alternator does not have output at a constant 100% but rather is monitored and modulated to keep the eventual DC output within predetermined thresholds.

While all this makes for fascinating discussion, I try not to think about it while riding. Personally, if my gage is reading 13-14 volts and the various connections aren't melting, I'm happy.  ;D

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Rikugun on July 19, 2010, 11:27:49 AM
What if the stator isn't under load 100% of the time despite having a permanent magnet?

When a permanent magnet generator is spun at a constant speed, you get a constant AC voltage (meaning the RMS Voltage is always the same). You do not get a constant current though.  Since the Voltage is constant, the current is dependent on the resistance drawing on that voltage.  The lower the resistance the higher the current.

Brian

inanecathode

Well the whole discussion is moot anyway, the whole problem for why the vision keeps blowing stators is the wires coming from the stator core are the wrong diameter and color.
The virago i took the stator from had YELLOW wires that were SLIGHTLY larger in diameter, and that stator was fine, how can you explain THAT?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

fiat-doctor

Inane, I think you are onto something there... the wire diameter anyway...   
Since a larger wire can carry more current than a smaller one (without overheating) perhaps the final solution is a stator with a small amount less of a slightly larger diameter wire with high temp insulation.
Steve

inanecathode

I was just kidding doctor, i just get so burnt out on the stator discussions. Alot of ideas but no solutions.
Someone should just fit a PTO and run a car alternator and be done with it.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Lucky

Quote from: inanecathode on July 20, 2010, 05:05:01 PM

Someone should just fit a PTO and run a car alternator and be done with it.

Someone did a long time back... sorry, don't remember who, probably in the archives, but i know it was ugly as hell! lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

johnclemens

Ok off of the sator stuff and back to my problem of what headlight to put on this butcher up bastard child.
The stock Vision headlight is still in the running, but what do you think of this one?
I like it more and more.
The scale is right on. It kinda follows the lines of the frame from the side. It also has a flat spot on top for my digital gauge panel.
I stuffed it with packing paper to kinda hold it in place.

Ok let me have it. Yea ;D or nay  :-[

I will buy you a beer if you know what model this light came off of.....

Raj1988

I LIKE IT. looks like a one of them small honda mopeds from th 60;s
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

QBS

Well John, it's not as "flat out ugly" as the previous candidate.  But, I'm still rooting for either a large round unit or the stock unit.  It might help us if we knew what your plans were for the paint scheme.  Will the frame be painted and if so, will the tank be painted to match?

supervision

I like the dream lite, you got the rest, is the bulb easy?
" border="0

QBS

So SV, you're thinking Honda Dream source.  You must go way way back.  Could be a good call.  No doubt John will reveal all in good time.

fret not

Looks like CA 77 or 72 to me too.  Not a first choice if any night riding is in the cards.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

supervision

Yea, QB, I remember when the Dead Sea, was only Sick
" border="0

johnclemens

You guys are close. I'm impressed. Honda CA-95 (150 Dream)

I like it! I think its going to be the one. I will modify it a bit, but I like the look and scale.
I can get the glass on ebay. Also I will modify it to fit a H4 bulb. I really don't plan on doing any night riding other than home from some bike event.... I don't do allot of night riding on any of my bikes anyway. Cept when I'm touring and thats not going to be on this rig.

I tried some round ones. It just doesn't look right. And the Vision stocker is just a bit too big.

The small round one would work. But I just don't care for it.
The big round one is horrible.

QBS

John, I got looking at your bike and the thought came to me that if you're running the stock radiator, the addition of the stock radiator shroud might help the look of the bike.  Sort of give it a sleeper stock look and hide its' race track roots.

johnclemens

Insert Quote
John, I got looking at your bike and the thought came to me that if you're running the stock radiator, the addition of the stock radiator shroud might help the look of the bike.  Sort of give it a sleeper stock look and hide its' race track roots.

I agree, check out page 4 of the post....
Its just off right now. It may not work though, the forks hit on it at full turn. After I install some steering stops though it might work out.
I'll have to wait till the front end is complete. I may change the radiator yet.

johnclemens

Not much work on the Vision lately as I've been enjoying summer.
Did a track day yesterday on my Ducati.
Check out my video....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ULQw6sOlek
That supermoto that passes me holds the lap record I've be told.

Rikugun

Cool video. It's amazing how a little supermoto thumper can make a big bore sportbike look silly in the twisties.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

johnclemens

Also its a 20 year old Ducati on 2 year old street tires.
Piloted by a 45 year old, out of shape guy who has to work on monday.

The supermoto is on racing slicks and has a fearless 17 y/o at the controls...

Rikugun

Understood, and my comment was in no way a slight to you or the Duck.

Still, all things being equal, the lighter SM will probably spank the larger sport bikes.