News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Build thread on my Yamaha XZR650 racebike to a street bike. SELLING BIKE

Started by johnclemens, January 31, 2010, 02:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnclemens

Lucky, Supervision is talking about a AGM Advanced Glass matt battery. These are fantastic batteries. Altho they are heavier than stock lead acid or gel cel. They last forever. They can be recharged even after months of being flat.

The one I got for my bike is a new Lithium type battery. it is super lightweight. like less than 2 lbs. and very tiny.
http://www.ballisticparts.com/products/products.html
I don't think I would get one of these for a stock Vision. while they have good power. They don't have the amount of Cranking amps regular batteries have. So for a finicky running bike like a stock vision. If it did not start on the first 2 or 3 attempts you'll be SOL.
On a new R6 or CBRGSXRKZR whatever... With Fuel Injection those things start instantly every time. That really what these batteries are made for.
I am installing one simply because of its size. I am trying to have electrical and everything under the gas tank.

If I was buying a battery today I would get a good AGM. it will last forever if you keep it charged. And it will crank your bike for a long time when it doesn't want to start right away.

johnclemens

I feel like a lazy slob. I did nothing to my bike last week. I ended up playing Halo Reach 3 nights last week.... While I love Halo its an utter waste of time. I'll be playing tonight if anyone here plays ;D
Gamertag "Jakeodoule" send me a friends request.

I'm still waiting for my battery and electrical supplies for building the harness.
My next step will be to build all the metal support structure for the battery,coils,CDI, relays and everything.
The battery is on back order, so until I have that I can't plan out my electrical framework.

I'm one of those guys that goes like crazy on something.... then does nothing on it for a bit...
I also have to rebuild my rear suspension on my old Porsche before summer. One side is so played out the tire is rubbing on hard cornering.
I'm also running low on spare $$$ for this project and some of the most expensive stuff is left. Stuff I have to pay people for, Paint and powdercoating.
Its looking more and more like I won't be riding this Vision till next spring 2012. >:(
But I WILL keep after it and finish it. I might get to ride it this summer once quick before taking it apart for Paint.

johnclemens

I haven't gotten allot done in the last few weeks. Lost interest and have been doing some dirt riding.

Got the gas tank just about completed. Its not going to be very big. Just under 2 gallons. But I don't plan on touring with the bike, I have others for that.
Since the sides of the frame are going to show without a fairing. I am going to have some holes filled and I need to weld some tabs on the frame.  so I decided to have it dipped to get rid on the powder coating. I know you can get it off with ovencleaner or paint stripper.
However its crazy messy and takes a ton of time and you NEVER get it out of all the little corners. So I am paying to dip it.
Heres what the bike looks like now.

It'll be a week or so for dipping and then I can get back to work.
Cheers.

johnclemens

While the frame is away I started finishing work on some other parts.

I got the headlight all done. Modified the bulb to accept an H4. I had a broken lens from my KTM. So I cut the back off and glued it to the other. Pretty straight forward. I then made a back and mounts. The top mount attaches with the same bolts as the key ignition in the top triple. The little T on top holds my gauge panel.
The bottom mount doubles as the routing for the brake line.
I didn't want any clamps or stuff on the fork legs so they look cleaner.
The pictures make it look like its away from the forks but its as close as the headstock allows.
I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out.  ;D

Raj1988

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Rikugun

Looks good! I hope the "loss of interest" is just a temporary thing. I know it takes a lot of time but your project is quite unique and I hope to see you finish it. Is the elongated hole in the back for wires to run through?

Unrelated to the build...   Is the tire vise original to your lift or an aftermarket find? I've been looking for one and it looks very substantial.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

johnclemens

Thanks guys. Yep the hole in the top is for the wires from the gauge panel as well as ignition.
oh and I WILL finish it. It may be next winter but I will stay after it. I just have too many projects and hobbies.
I bounce from one to the other all the time. I will be laying off the bike for a bit as I need to rebuild my Porsche suspension.
Starting that next week so I can drive it this summer.

The vise can be had at Handy industries.
I have two lifts.  ;D ::) one Hdyro foot pump Harbor freight special That I made a custom top for. As it came from HF it was just about useless. The top would bend if you put anything over 300lbs on it and the vise was a joke. I made a new top and added the Handy vise. The other lift is a Handy industries air lift. These are the ones you see in most dealerships. They are not cheap but will last forever and are made in America i think. $1100 bucks! When I am done with it in 25 years I'll bet money it'll still be working fine. They're proud of they're stuff, but everything I've seen from them is very good quality. You be surprised how much you use a adjustable hieght table when you have one. I use it for all my projects. Bikes or not.
http://www.handyindustries.com/products/cv-17-cycle-vise
http://www.handyindustries.com/

Rikugun

Thanks for the info. I have a hydraulic "foot-pumper" made in the 60's(?) by an Italian manufacturer. It looks very similar to the HF units. I bought it in the late 80's from a dealer that was upgrading to the pneumatic ones. Mine has no vise so I'm (finally) looking  to add one.

Good luck with the Porsche project and post some pics too!   :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

I know that this is the premier V spot on the net.  However, a few pictures of the Porsche suspention rebuild be nice.

Your V project is outstanding, the dream of every upstanding V afficionado.  Thank you very much for making it come true for us.

jefferson

Is that a CX650e in the background in the picture of the engine. I always wanted to have one of those, but they never imported them. How did you come into yours if it is one?

Jeff

Raj1988

come over to canada and pick one up!! they go from anywhere between 500 to 2500

johnclemens

Yep. 1984 CX650E  Good spot!
I bought it 14 years ago from the dude who imported it brand new.
Back in the 8o's it wa pretty easy to import a bike and get a plate for it.
Now its not that easy.
It is more or less showroom condition with 35,000 kicks on it.
It is alot of fun to ride and the attention it gets is amazing.
It my favorite street bike I own. Even over my Ducati's
John

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Raj1988

David, that bike rides like a dream.. Sweet sound and feel, very stable at all kinds of speed and the power delivery is AWESOME... It is a bit more top heavy than the Vision but corners almost as well

jefferson

I sure would like to find a nice one that was for sale and already in the states. I really like those european comstars. How does it perform compared to a Vision?

Jeff

johnclemens

Careful what you ask for...
There is a dude here locally that has/had a white/red one for sale.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cx_650_e_1984.php

very nice condition with US registration. I think he was looking for 3500
If you really want one this is a really nice example that needs nothing.
I would be happy to help with shipping.
His contact info vintrace@comcast.net

I know him personally and would trust him on his word.

Rikugun

johnclemens

Sorry, link works ok for me.
Its not the bike for sale, just a picture of a white/red CXE
You'd have to email at the address I gave if your interested.

fret not

According to the specs the CXE is some heavier than the Vision. Looks nice though.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

johnclemens

Got the parts back from the dipper/stripper.

Check out the crack in my swing arm! This is the pivot area.
Last time I rode the bike I won my race riding as fast as I could, with this crack in the swing arm.... :-[ :-X :o