Build thread on my Yamaha XZR650 racebike to a street bike. SELLING BIKE

Started by johnclemens, January 31, 2010, 02:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raj1988

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

johnclemens

Ok after checking with some racer buddies and a few welders they all think the swing arm can be welded no problemo.
After all it is welded from the factory right?

Anyway I finished making the brake stay so he can weld that at the same time.
Since I changed the wheels to ones off of my KTM SuperMoto I decided to use a KTM rear brake assembly.  If I used the FZR brake assembly I would have had issues with the disk offset and diameter. This is less machining. Also I can swap the wheels back to my KTM with little effort if I want to do a track day or race again.

KTM uses a post on the swig arm to hold the caliper from rotating. Instead of a bar like Yamaha.So I made the post and drilled all the way through the swing arm.
I was worried if I welded it right on the surface it might snap off. That would be bad!
Pretty straight forward really, I made it using my 3n1 smithy lathe/mill. I can't believe how many times I have paid for that tool.
I bought it for 350 bucks and its worth every penny.

Now I just need to drop the swing arm off at the welder and it should be good to go.
Then I can go back to the mock up and build the electrical system.

johnclemens

Got my frame back. I had all the holes filled on the sides. The dude did a pretty good job.
I can weld aluminum, however I'm not confident at it so I paid a dude to get it done.
You can see in the first photo the frame had at least 4 holes on each side. a couple were 3-5 inches around. The FZR had a fairing that covered everything so it didn't matter. Now that I am not running any fairings I wanted it to look smoother.
Plus it'll make it even harder for people to figure out what the hell it is. ;D

johnclemens

After I built that nice brake stay post...
I found a newer style swing arm on Ebay. The FZR400 used a Deltabox swing arm in the latter years.
Its much cooler looking! Now I have to remake the brake stay.
My new goal to be done is spring 2012....

Raj1988

I'm waiting to see the finished product.. keep up the great work and the detailed documentation

CHEERS

johnclemens

Well after taking most of the summer off of my project I am getting back to finishing the Vision.

I got most of my controls sorted. The switches are a push button style machined from billet.
The mirrors are CRG product. the front brake is a Brembo unit sized for a single disk front end. $$$ stupid money.
the signals are bar end and can be seen from the front or back. So i will not have any other turn signals on the bike.
All of the wires for the switches and signals go into the bar and out the middle bottom. Then they go under the gauge panel and into the headlight assembly. No wires showing for anything on the controls/bars!

Hopefully I will start making progress again and I'll be sure to keep you all in the loop as I go.
Cheers

johnclemens

Ok got the fuel tank pretty much done.
I needed a 1/4 NPT thread for my petcock. So I picked up a plumbing fitting and turned it down to clean off the galv. and make it look nicer.
Then I took a stock fuel tank and cut the bottom off. The vision motors rear head is where the fuel was on the fzr400.  So I  fabricated a new bottom and welded it on with the fitting I made. Its not very big but I really don't plan on riding it far. I also thought I do I have one of those little hand crank pumps. They work amazingly well and can transfer like a gallon a minute. I'll just take that and one of my buddies will hook me up.

Then I needed to test for leaks. So I installed a air regulator and a fitting in the petcock hole.
With very little pressure (like 5lbs) I can feel the air coming out some pinholes. Then I used some soapy water for the finer holes.
kept welding up the holes till I found no leaks.  ;D I'm going to use cream in it as well. Just for insurance.

Now I need to make some mounts, That should be pretty straight forward.

Lucky

Really? your going to use Kreem?  go for an epoxy like POR-15 instead of latex..you'll be much happier..

Love these posts! the bike is going to be Awesome!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

johnclemens

Yes thanks Lucky.
I was just using the name as a generic term.

Both Por15 and KBS stuff is very good products. II have used both.
Much better than the Kreem stuff.

Raj1988

Any updates John? Looking fwd to seeing that bike complete :D

johnclemens

Quote from: Raj1988 on June 10, 2012, 12:40:13 AM
Any updates John? Looking fwd to seeing that bike complete :D

My wife and I moved from Portland OR to Des Moines Iowa a couple of months ago. Between packing, moving and finding a house.
I have done nothing the last 4 months. At the moment everything I own is in storage. We found a home and close in about 10 days.
I can't wait to get my shop set up and working again on all of my projects.
My new shop is a little smaller than my old one but should be nice. 25x36 with heated floors for the cold winters.

Good news is with my new Job I have extra money to finish the Vision. Bad news is it may not be till this winter. I also have to find a painter here in the Des Moines area to do the paint work. I have most of the hard work done and I should be on easy street to get-r-done.

I will finish it! I promise. I also owe some rides to a few of you who supplied a part or two.
Thanks for checking in!

Raj1988

Can I get a ride too for Checking in?

Also ... can you recommend any resources that I can refer to while designing an exhaust for my XZ?

fret not

Raj, designing an exhaust system for the XZ will be a test of your tenacity, skill, and welding ability.  One of my friends had a try at doing that since he had made many systems for other bikes.  The real hurdle is the rear cylinder, trying to get it to flow as well as the front.  The problem is part of the frame is in the way, unlike that frame used by John Clemens.  (A crafty lad is he) 

Either modify the stock frame to make room the exhaust or make/adapt another frame design.  So far every exhaust design for the XZ I have seen has relied on use of the "Y" pipe, which is part of the breathing problem. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rikugun

That's the one with the larger fiberglass tank and fuel level windows - way cool!  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

johnclemens

I made an exhaust for my stock framed racer. It is not that hard to make a Y pipe for the rear cylinder. You use 1 1/4 pipe. Just buy mandrel bends. Then you cut them up and weld em back together. Then you use 1 3/4 pipe after you come together with the smaller pipe.  Very similar to the exhaust work on this build thread a few pages back. Believe it or not the exhaust on this FZR framed bike is tighter back for the rear cylinder than the stock frame one. It is pretty basic work altho time consuming. You of course have to have a welder. I use both a wire feed and a torch. I tack the pieces in place then weld them with the torch. I find I have better control with the torch using a 0 tip.
If I have a tig then thats what I would use.

Rick G

I like the idea and look of an under engine exhaust , but a lot of tight bends would be involved for the rear cylinder.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

johnclemens

Yes I am back to working on the project!
We are pretty much settled here in Iowa and my shop is dialed in. My job sends me traveling allot so work on the XZR will be spotty. But I am getting close plus I am getting more motivated and that means it will go faster.

Looks like I got my electrical pretty much all mounted. Its not pretty, but it really cannot be seen when the tank cover is in place. My goal is to not be able to see any electrical at all. The sub frame in the back is going to be open under the seat so nothing can be back there either. That really only leaves room up front.

The M-Unit Digital controller I am using replaces all of the relays except the starter relay. It makes for easier and cleaner wiring. It allows use of LED's or regular bulbs. It can be programmed to use 1 button switches. You will see more on that when I get it wired. Its a pretty slick unit. Only weird thing is it has to be mounted vertical for the alarm function to work.
I hung the regulator under the plate so it will get some fresh air

Hers the info on the M-unit if your interested. Its not cheap.
http://motogadget.com/en/electrics/electronic-control-box-m-unit/m-unit-digit-tastersteuerung-u-sicherung.html

Anyway you can see I pretty much got everything mounted to one plate that bolts in above the front cylinder.
I used steel because I don't have a Tig welder. I'm not too worried about the weight as that battery saved about 15 lbs. Plus I'm not racing it.

Today I am going to clean it all up and and paint it.

Raj1988

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: johnclemens on January 01, 2013, 09:32:20 AM
Only weird thing is it has to be mounted vertical for the alarm function to work.
Nice looking Unit - esp with m-button and the RFID m-lock.
Looks from manuals like that orientation issue was removed for the V2 do you have an old version?