News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Why are these allan caps here?

Started by xswheels, February 16, 2010, 05:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xswheels

They are threaded into the cylinder head, adjacent  to the spark plug, and I guess allow access to the water jacket, but why?

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

nwrider

Wish my bike was that clean....and new looking!
First dirt: Hodaka Ace 100B
First street: Honda 150 Dream
First racer: '86 Honda 500 Interceptor
Most memorable:Kawasaki 350 triple, GSXR 750 limited edition
Current: '83 Vision

xswheels

Quote from: Lucky on February 16, 2010, 07:08:15 PM
those are your head bolts

No they're not. I'm talking about the cap with the allen wrench still attached.

xswheels

Quote from: nwrider on February 16, 2010, 10:38:59 PM
Wish my bike was that clean....and new looking!
Thanks, but it's only that clean because I'm working on it plus it's put away clean for the winter.

Lucky

ok, i was looking at it on a dim small monitor at work last night.  i forget what it is open it! i dare you!! :) :>
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

xswheels

I'm pretty sure if I remove it I will get a uncontrolled gush of coolant. I really don't need that.

Brian Moffet

I looked at the micro-fiche and Haynes manual (didn't go downstairs for the service manual in the garage) and I suspect you're correct. I couldn't find them in any of those places.

However, I think they are there as part of the casting process rather than for any useful thing.

Brian

Jimustanguitar

It is the "Awesome" control, adjust it as high as you can.

Just kidding, I couldn't tell you what it is from memory.

Jimustanguitar

Taking a closer look, there is no mention of that bolt in the yamaha parts manual that I can tell. I would imagine that the bolt in question plugs the passage that you can see the drill hole from on the face of the cylinder head.

That's my best guess.

Did you try removing it? I'm not recommending that you do, but I'm curious what it is in case you did.

xswheels

Quote from: Jimustanguitar on February 24, 2010, 07:42:10 PM
I would imagine that the bolt in question plugs the passage that you can see the drill hole from on the face of the cylinder head.

Nope, it doesn't do that. First off I am sure it's not a bolt, but rather a cap. Secondly the drain hole should always remain unrestricted. It's there to drain the spark plug well.
I'm convinced no good would come from trying to remove it.

Brian Moffet

To really test it, you would start the bike up, let it get good and hot, and then open it  ;D

(Warning, no user serviceable parts in here...)

xswheels

Hey you might have something there. You can turn old retired Visions into a fountain. :o

musicweb

It is a coolant plug....

I had to remove mine because of slight weepage.

Cleaned it up, applied a little thread sealant, and it seems OK now.

BTW...there is also a metal gasket in there....
1982 XZ550 Vision
Most upgrades done... and a large pizza paint job!