Go West, Young Man

Started by Raj1988, February 24, 2010, 12:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Lucky on April 06, 2010, 08:02:02 AM
175 mpg on Tourer (the heavy bike) and 195ish on Cafe. 

Must be, this is impressive!   ;D

Raj1988

Quote from: Brian Moffet on April 06, 2010, 10:45:22 AM
Quote from: Lucky on April 06, 2010, 08:02:02 AM
175 mpg on Tourer (the heavy bike) and 195ish on Cafe. 

Must be, this is impressive!   ;D

Am i to assume that Lucky means miles per tank??
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Re-Vision

Just checked my mileage for the first time since I got it, thirty mpg isn't bad considering how I enjoy acceleration.    BDC

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Raj1988 on April 06, 2010, 10:48:09 AM

No, Lucky is a god.  In addition to being the fastest Vision in the world, it's also the most fuel efficient.  Heck, he's even able to re-burn the exhaust and get 20 mpg just off of that!

Brian

Night Vision

on Saturday I rode 378km

the first 162km were heading south into a head wind and I got 20.405 km/l

on the way back I got 22.655 km/l

this was mixed riding 50-120 km/hr in the city, backroads, and the hiway

didn't hit reserve either on either of those legs
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Raj1988

ran some quick calculations. I am getting 14.4 km/l. Is there any way to increase this? Can carbs be tuned to run a little leaner? How much would this effect things? Would re-syncing make a difference?

vadasz1

leaning out the carbs will make your motor run much hotter.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Lucky

At least I can allways count on Brian to bust my balls when he catches me in a mistake, & provide a good laugh!!  :> :>
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

Accelerate slower, stay closer to the speed limit...

Brian

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Brian Moffet on April 06, 2010, 11:46:21 AM
Quote from: Raj1988 on April 06, 2010, 10:48:09 AM

No, Lucky is a god.  In addition to being the fastest Vision in the world, it's also the most fuel efficient.  Heck, he's even able to re-burn the exhaust and get 20 mpg just off of that!

Brian

Actually, I get much better gas mileage myself when I'm drafting Lucky and he turns off his exhaust gas reburner.  It allows YJ to increase MPG so we can both do an entire day of riding on one tank each.  ....which, BTW, we need to do again soon.  8)

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

don_vanecek

Plan your trip with gas stops not more then 100 miles apart and you should never need reserve. I always figure on 40 mpg, sometimes I get less, sometimes I've gotten 50. If the first town is at 80 miles and the next town at 120 miles, fill up at the 80 mile town. Also keep in mind you can't fill a hot Vision up to the brim or it will do the famous Vision burp.

Another trick (at least for me anyway) is on a hot day, slowing down to drive though a town, I put my petcock to prime until I get out on the open road again, seems to help prevent getting vapor lock. But I can't really prove this, just my experiance.  If you do get hit with vapor lock you just need to figure on loosing ten or fifteen minutes, don't wear out your battery cranking and cranking.

Now really, these are very minor things that maynot happen to you, the Vision LOVES if out on the highway and actually seems to run better the more miles you put on. The Vision is the best mid size touring bike BMW never made!  

Tiger

:)....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand hes off and running, west in to the wild blue yonder...well, north actually and then westerly. He left my place around 4.15 p.m. yesterday, Monday 26th April, headed initially for Barrie. Given that it takes a day just to get out of our province of Ontario, he has wisely given himself six days to complete his journey to Calgary.

Ah to be 21, young, free and single again 8) Then again, maybe not ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

All the best on your quest young 'Raj...Bon voyage.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Cdnlouie

He left my place Saturday afternoon causing me to miss a movie date with my wife   >:(.  I synchronized his carbs, set mixtures, rerouted fuel line, tied up many dangling parts, rewired his signal lights front and rear, added new vacuum caps, fuel line clamps, straightened bent gear shifter alignment and sent him off without a push. I must admit I did not think he would have it ready, but a good "pit crew" can make the difference. You know, he just might make it to Calgary!

Enjoy your adventure!  Send us a postcard! 

Raj1988

Well, made it to parry sound last night and now about 50 minutes outside sault st marie. Thank you Cdnloui and Tiger and Barrie and all you guys on the ROV. Couldn't have made it this far without your help.!!!!

funkamongus

Have a GREAT ride !!!!! Slow, steady, and safe....
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

kev10104

I didn't realize you were leaving so soon.Have a safe and enjoyable ride my friend.

Raj1988

well, my stators done for, 1000 kms in. 2500 more to go. I'm on the south shore of superior in Marquette, Michigan. I will look for a Repair shop tomorrow  morning. It is likely that i may be sticking around here for a day or 2. Any visionaries around here?   

kev10104

What a shame!Good luck buddy.

xswheels

Quote from: Raj1988 on April 28, 2010, 09:26:34 PM
well, my stators done for, 1000 kms in. 2500 more to go. I'm on the south shore of superior in Marquette, Michigan. I will look for a Repair shop tomorrow  morning. It is likely that i may be sticking around here for a day or 2. Any visionaries around here?  

All right, now you're are adding a little adventure to your trip. It might seem maddening now, but as you tell the story later, it won't seem as bad. You did bring a spare stator right? If you need to keep travelling, with a charger you can revive your battery and get a few more hours riding in. This might get you to a better place to sort things out. When it comes time to pull the stator cover, drain your oil into clean containers, so you save time trying to find the correct oil. You don't have to drain it all. Go to a fast food joint, and go through the garbage can to get a few large salad containers and drink cups. You will likely have to seal the stator cover with RTV silicone rather than trying to sort out a gasket. If you have the time you can cut a gasket out of a cereal box. Make sure to cut out the oil passage holes though.
Another thing to check is the  wires to the reg/rec. Check to see if the connections have burned and melted, especially the ground wire.

QBS

XS speaks good commando fixes. Raj, if you're really fortunate or far sighted the gasket won't be glued on and you might be able to reuse it.  This situation is an excellent example of the potiential benefits of not glueing on gaskets unless they will not otherwise do their job.