Another year....another battery. UGH!

Started by YellowJacket!, March 19, 2010, 06:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

So I guess the next question is how do AGM batteries figure in to stator/R/R failures...

Would those who have used them for a while please chime in?  Someone go drag H2O back here...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

My data means absolutely nothing. I have an AGM battery.  I have had no stator or R/R problems.

supervision

Lucky, My bike has 58,000 miles, about 10,000/stator.  Battery has made no difference. 
" border="0

Night Vision

I had an AGM in another one of my steeds... lasted 8 years and didn't lose a stator or R&R... but that's meaningless

here is some helpfull info:

Yusa sealed battery 'fo the Vision... around $55 shipped off eBay.. part number YTX14AHL-BS

looks like the 14AHL-BS part is common with lots of other batteries
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

:) Wallmart...#ES14LA2...$40.00...Never had a problem 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

mdskinner731

to be honest ive never had any luck with the walmart cheepo batteries they fail every year and i spent 40 dollars every year for each bike... gets expensive...
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Tiger on March 22, 2010, 08:22:31 PM
:) Wallmart...#ES14LA2...$40.00...Never had a problem 8)

Died after less than one year. two bad cells.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

QBS

Never, ever underestimate the Visions' lust for electrons. 

YellowJacket!

Quote from: QBS on March 23, 2010, 11:36:39 PM

LOL...couldn't have said it better Bob, as I'm sitting here studying organic chemistry and surfing ROV.

As a side note, I think I may have a slight short somewhere in my system. I have been watching the voltage on my installed voltmeter and it is dropping by 0.1 volt per day since I installed the battery.
Gonna do some troubleshooting later to see what I come up with.

David

QBS

Inanes' testing concept sounds like a great way to start the diagnosis process.  I'm going to use it on my BMW automobile in the very near future.

inanecathode

Quote from: YellowJacket! on March 24, 2010, 12:56:50 PM
Quote from: QBS on March 23, 2010, 11:36:39 PM

LOL...couldn't have said it better Bob, as I'm sitting here studying organic chemistry and surfing ROV.

As a side note, I think I may have a slight short somewhere in my system. I have been watching the voltage on my installed voltmeter and it is dropping by 0.1 volt per day since I installed the battery.
Gonna do some troubleshooting later to see what I come up with.

David

Use alligator clips and connect the + and - of your meter to the bikes pig tail on the negative, then the negative lug on the battery. THEN remove the cable with your meter attached to the seperate ends (meter set on amps, obviously) and see what your draw is.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

auto

I'm getting a much higher price on Yuasa AGM battery for my vision, are we sure about the YTX14AHL-BS  part # for a true AGM battery

Night Vision

the YUASA YTX14AHL-BS  is a sealed battery.. the  CBTX14AHL-BS at mikesxs is the agm battery

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

I'm loving the AGM.  Bike fires up every time. Choke still needed for cold starts.  Other than that, now I just hit the start button and go.

David

auto

After doing a some research on the internet,I'm seeing two types of AGM batteries.One type you fill and seal.the other comes factory sealed and charged.The factory sealed yuasa battery has TZX prefex,and cost a lot more.Their doesn't seem to be a replacement battery of the TZX factory sealed that fit a Vision.Can anyone explain things a little clearer for me.Are the fill and seal Maintance free battries just as good.
Thanks for your help

YellowJacket!

My AGM is a sealed and came fully charged.  The model number is ETX15L  if that helps.

David

auto

You did not have to add acid and seal it,correct

YellowJacket!

Quote from: auto on April 01, 2010, 09:20:36 PM
You did not have to add acid and seal it,correct

Thats correct. It came in the box and is sealed.  Says it can work in all positions without leaking and does not require a vent tube.  It was also fully charged when I bought it.

David

inanecathode

The you-fill-it agm batteries are a bit cheesy imo. A true agm has a special electrolyte mix and special matting in it to absorb the electorlyte properly. The idea is the mat isnt fully saturated, just evenly partially saturated, thats a big reason why the factory sealed ones can go in any position, theres nothing to leak even if it could. The you-fill-it types are just a regular lead acid battery thats got some kind of foam or glass mat in there thats basically just a sponge. I dont see how they could have great quality control with the end user being responsible for proper filling. That said, if the AGM or true gel battery is too expensive (they are for what they're going in i think) you could just get a yuasa standard battery, or a similar premium battery for much less and still get an awesome warranty and replace it when it goes bad.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Brian Moffet

Except in my case, the AGM wasn't that much more expensive than the standard Yuasa battery (I think about 60 % more.)  I've had much fewer problems with the AGM than I have ever had with a Yuasa.  Well, there was one that was really good, but in the 25 years I've owned the bike, only 1 lasted long enough to match the AGM.  With the AGM, my bike consistently starts in a second unless it's been sitting for a long time.

Brian