News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

AK-BluV & RHPAW the ride.

Started by akvision, March 20, 2010, 12:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on March 31, 2010, 05:51:14 AM
AK, if you get into Eastern Tennessee, Dave & I are just south of Knoxville, & you can hit the Dragon as well..

--Lucky

Yeah,  You can't tour the south without hitting East TN.  Lucky and I are literally minutes off of I-40.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

akvision

Sorry guys,,, you are way too far way... maybe next year.. We will try this again.. Leeds for sure. ... next year.. I know we are disappointing QBS too.. we were planning to meet up in TX.

In Colorado....
We will try to hook up with Ben I will send you a PM when we get back to Denver for a meet up on Saturday or Sunday..  We are coming back from MO and will be back in Denver by May 4.

Am waiting for Rhpaw to post some AKBluv pics.... :)
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

dminor

AK ,
  I'm in New Mexico. If you pass through, we can ride the road from "Wild Hogs". There is a really nice section of twisties on the way.
  I can't offer you much more than a place to stay , a meal, and a cold one. Look for McIntosh 87032. If you are coming through the area send me a PM.
  If not, stay safe.
Don ;)

akvision

dminor,
Gosh, we were in your area last Sept when we went to Roswell.  N.M. is not on the route this trip...maybe next year.
It is going to be a flat ride to Chillicothe, MO and back.. then maybe a guided tour from one of our visionary friends in Colorado.

I will hold you to that cold one.

akv
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

funkamongus

Aw back in Denver by the 4th.. Im gonna be in Branson, Mo starting late May, gonna miss ya by a little bit!!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

akvision

Funk. we will meet up sometime..

So here I am, about to start my adventure and visiting kids here in Seattle.... my son in law pulls out a KZ650 that has been in a back bin since 1990 and says,,,, can you get this started..

So, we have a KZ 650.   One of the most bullet proof machines made.. baby Z1 of legendary fame..  Carb are totally stuck..
Tank is empty, a bit of visionary rust...front fork seals...dead and leaking.. front brakes still work!!!  No battery and some corrosion is average and expected.. bike has 14K miles.  It is red.

I think, i can bring it back to life.  The carb bank has to be removed.  So I dig in, what have I got to loose. Time with the kids and time on my hands.. I take off for Denver on Tuesday.
I readup on the carbs and they are no big deal.. I discover the find of a time though...

I have done the cleaning in a kettle on the stove with four quarts of 100%  real lemon juice boiling and set the units in that for 45 minutes..   no caustic carb cleaner.. here.  It works really good.  The units came out clean.. be sure to rinse and spray with  WD-40 and thoroughly dry.  Not bad smelling either..
Boiled lemon juice from Costco!  Did the trick.

I have reassemble the carbs and have yet to try them.. Anyway, they are all free and the jets are all clean, clean, clean.
It is ready to go..  I may have to wait for the final result, still some stuff to do and to get the carbs in and tank prepared.

As we all know, it is not an overnite project to get a bike going that has waited in a shed for 20 years.

I fly to Denver on Tuesday and we head for Pratt, KS on Wednesday.
Akvision
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

rhpaw

AKvision here.

Well, am here in Denver area.  The AK-BluV is going.  Did a few loops around the neighborhood.
Really feels good. Goes good and is just a delight to ride. 

Rhpaw has installed new o-rings on the idle screws...Last year we buggered them and just let them be.  So we have been tuning to get the idle just right and to get the flat spot out.  Test, adjust, test, at this point seems good to go. We were about 4.5 to 5 turns out.

We flattened the battery and not wanting to take any chances were are about to go to Wally world and pick up a new unit.

Maybe we can get a picture posted in the morning.

keep posted.

akv
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

rhpaw

t-minus 30 minutes!!!

it's blowing out there.. crazy wind.

funkamongus

BluV is looking GREAT!!!  Be careful!
I own:

rhpaw

The wind sucked today.. the V was also slightly tempermental.
We're in Lamar Colorado tonight.

rhpaw

In Dodge city, ks  right now eating lunch.

funkamongus

I own:

rhpaw

We're having some tank venting issues that are causing annoyances while driving.

One thing for sure, the vision is not a bike you can park for a year and then just ride 1500 miles without concern. ... (duh)

funkamongus

I see.. well, be as safe as you can, and you can dial it in for next time!!
I own:

akvision

Well, we made it to Missouri.. we are in Chillicothe MO.  Nice ride today.. all very smooth.
BluV is a bit temperamental. Bit cold blooded... it starts good but you have to stand by and monitor and manipulate the throttle.
Seem like it is running lean.. but the throttle response is very good and highway operations are smooth and sweet.  Once the she is up to temp all seems normal.

I have to open the enrichener 1/2 to get and easy start.  At this point I am here and I don't want to mess with success.. The Idle screws are at 5 to 5.25 on the carbs and the throttle response is near perfect... she seem to be starving when we start up.. though..

The fuel cap is not venting right and at about 50 miles she start a program of starvation.. I took the unit apart and all the o-ring and cork stuff was in a bazillion pieces... I just reassembled without the cork and o-ring.  The small holes are clear..so when the starve tantrum started I just cracked the lid and she was happy.

Will look further into this when I get back to Denver..
I will tell you... I was ready to abandon her by the side of the road.. you ingrateful..B...ch!  I gave her one more try with the enrichner on 1/2 and she liked the sweet juice..

We are getting about 40 to 45 mpg depending on the speed and wind conditions.

akv
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

vadasz1

Great news AKV.  Mine is the same way in the morning, but I can't use any enricher at all.  I just keep the throttle opened abit and about a inute later she will hold a nice 1000 RPM when warming up.  Then when I am on the road she idles perfectly at 1300 RPM.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

akvision

Nice day here today.. almost like Alaska in the summer time..  Toured this quiet MO town with my best pal and learned a bit of history..

I have to say the the folks in Kansas, the next state over are some of the most gracious people I have ever met.. we stopped briefly by a road side just to rest our tired buts.. we went over 1100 miles in two days and two people stopped and asked if we were ok.. one guy was on a Honda GW and turned around to check us out..  the heartland, great americans.   

Biking is a great way to see America and meet the real people.

We head back to Colorado tomarrow and will do it over three days at a more leasurely pace.

akv
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

funkamongus

I own:

akvision

Thanks for the following guys..

We made our way back from Chillicothe via the "Pony Express Route"  Highway 35 form IA to MO to CO.
Sort of like an unknown Route 66.  Little towns about every 20 miles.. gas station and cafe.. now long gone.
The midwest is a story book of history... we went to Dodge City, Boot Hill, and Cimmaron City.. all named after the namesakes of the TV series of the 60's westerns..  It was the Santa Fe Trail going out to Chillicothe and the Pony Express Route back.  It was mostly straight but it was beautiful and it was heartland.

We went through a small place call "Home, KS (no place like "home")  the town motto. There is also a place called "Bird" KS.   I would recommend the ride.

We are back in Littleton and all is well... AKBluV has 8223 miles on the clock.. and running sweetly. The crusing at +60 is good.  When we got back to long lights and waites in Denver she started a carb fit and the idle would not due.. and she started a tantrum vapor lock... so we pull off and had a private conversation about the fact that we had only 10 more lights to work through and she could rest in Rhpaw's garage.

We made it home by 5pm.  All in all a nice trip and it was nice to travel with my son and see my best friend Bruce..  Rhpaw's Harley hybrid never winced, not once..

AKvison.
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

rhpaw

Not much to it, it was Kansas..

stealing a sign, and then we ran into a goldwing rider who thought we were broke down.

bugs