News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

new old Vision

Started by RedRocket, April 07, 2010, 07:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRocket

Quote from: musicweb on April 26, 2010, 12:37:29 PM
Here's the post for the stainless line I got:

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=11606.msg106438#msg106438

Thanks  I spoke with them this morning.  His info only went back to 1988.  Before measuring it up I found a local shop that made me a stainless line while I waited for $ 36.

Just got off the horn with my local Yamaha store, and  I can't buy caliper seals without buying a new piston.  
My piston looks fine so I'd like to avoid buying that too.  I ended up ordering them from Wemoto in the UK.  That's pretty sad that I can't find them here.

musicweb

That great Red! Glad you found one local so cheap....

I did order mine from the Virago page according to my specs and it fit perfect.
1982 XZ550 Vision
Most upgrades done... and a large pizza paint job!

Night Vision

Quote from: RedRocket on April 26, 2010, 03:04:46 PM

Just got off the horn with my local Yamaha store, and  I can't buy caliper seals without buying a new piston.  
My piston looks fine so I'd like to avoid buying that too.  I ended up ordering them from Wemoto in the UK.  That's pretty sad that I can't find them here.

sheesh... awful quick to pull the trigger are we?

caliper seals here : http://www.hvccycle.com/yamahabrakes.htm

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=10455.msg95129#msg95129

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

RedRocket

Quote from: Night Vision on April 26, 2010, 06:44:36 PM

sheesh... awful quick to pull the trigger are we?

caliper seals here : http://www.hvccycle.com/yamahabrakes.htm

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=10455.msg95129#msg95129

Where were you this morning??  :-[

I should have known the RZ350 rear caliper was the same!
Turns out the cost is almost the same from England.

RedRocket

While waiting for my caliper seals I thought I'd try and do a carb sync with my home made manometer.
I filled it with pretty heavy tool oil, and when I run the bike it just froths up, and I can't see anything.

Has anyone else made one?
Mine was just 3/8 clear hose wrapped up and down a ruler.

Re-Vision

I used transmission fluid and it worked well.   BDC

RedRocket

I'll make sure to use that next time.
I let the oil settle back down, and then it was good for the first few seconds after starting, and I seemed to get a an idea which cylinder pulled first.

I'll have to wait until my brake parts are in to test ride it, but it seems to idle nicely.
I think I may have solved my throttle hang up. I think my YICS hose was interfering with the linkage so I cable tied it down by the coolant tube.  Problem solved.

Seeing as my tank is bare, I also ordered some tuning fork decals, though I'm sure the right one will fall off due to spilled gasoline eventually.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2x-Yamaha-Tank-Emblem-Decal-Sticker-Black-Chrome-R1-R6_W0QQitemZ110525201953QQihZ001QQcategoryZ35593QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DCRX%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8924108751787786221

inanecathode

You'll have to restrict the lines on your tube manometer, cross them over each other and clamp it with pliers then slowly let off tension.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

RedRocket

I think I'm alright.  I performed it more than once.  By the 3rd time they were both dispersing equally.

inanecathode

Hows the idle mixture?

RedRocket

Quote from: inanecathode on April 29, 2010, 12:41:43 AM
Hows the idle mixture?

I dunno.
I haven't done any reading about it yet.

RedRocket

My caliper seals showed up yesterday.  I soaked them brake fluid for a couple of hours then assembled the caliper.  I installed the caliper, filled it with fluid, then bolted on the line.  I shot fluid up from the bleeder, then attached it to the master. 
There were still tons of bubbles, so I've been trying to get them out.
I hope the caliper pops back out.

RedRocket

All is well in brake land now.  I think my carb sync helped a little too. It seems to run better, and the idle isn't hanging up like it was.

RedRocket

75 miles on it today.
It runs pretty well, but the idle still occasionally hangs up.
The refreshed front brake feels good, except on my trip when I stopped after 20 miles to my first appointment as I was approaching it my brake faded out completely, the lever was soft, and went all the way to the bar, and NO braking power.  Half an hour later when I left it was just fine, and hasn't been an issue since.

I bled it a bit when I got home, but saw no bubbles.

inanecathode

Sounds like a leak or a torn cup. Did you rebuild the master?

RedRocket

Quote from: inanecathode on May 08, 2010, 12:38:43 AM
Sounds like a leak or a torn cup. Did you rebuild the master?

GRRR.  I cleaned the master, and re-assembled it.  The big rubber cup wasn't 100%.  Stupid me.
I just ordered a kit now.

inanecathode

Be careful this time ;)

RedRocket

Quote from: inanecathode on May 08, 2010, 01:35:44 PM
Be careful this time ;)

At least on this second attempt it shouldn't take a half hour to remove the circlip!

Lucky

Trick to removing the circlip:
push the piston in slightly. this takes the pressure off the circlip.  comes right out...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

RedRocket

Quote from: Lucky on May 08, 2010, 10:54:42 PM
Trick to removing the circlip:
push the piston in slightly. this takes the pressure off the circlip.  comes right out...

--Lucky

I appreciate the input, but I was aware of that.  I blame my cheezy tool from Harbor Freight.

I have another buried deep one to remove from GoldWing's driveshaft so I just picked up  a better pair of Pliers tonight.