Another gas tank question

Started by jwebfournow, April 10, 2010, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwebfournow

Did a search but didn't find much. Anybody have an idea on how to get the loose rust out of the tank. Tried air compressor with blower, tried shaking it all about.......felt like Chubby Checker....hardly anything comes out. can't get vacuum cleaner nozzle in there. Any other ideas!

vadasz1

Use Xylen or Acetone along with small chain or nuts and bolts and then do the shake and bake....
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Raj1988

Acetone no good on rust. Must use  dilute acid to reduce rust. Acetone is only useful in getting rid of Polymer based gas tank liners.

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

jwebfournow

What I meant is the loose flakes in a dry tank, I hear them moving about as I shake it around. Maybe some duct tape on a wire to get the fflakes to stick to the tape?

Tiger

:) Remove the gas cap and petcock, put in a piece of chain/old nuts 'n bolts, etc, give it a good shake around to clean off any further flaking rust, remove the chain/old nuts 'n bolts, what haveyou ...then try again with the airline...but wear safety glasses... :o ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kiawrench

i know where you are going with the question . once tank is dry get a paper tube from a roll of paper towels , you can bend it ,roll it tuck it, stuff it right into the tank , then use your vac to draw the dry flakes out.

once that is done , roll some duct tape into a ball, sticky side out, and attach to a coat hangar, that can fish out what ever vac missed
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

YellowJacket!

I've had good luck with phosphoric acid (you can get it at lowes, home depot and I tink even ace) which is used for cleaning concrete.  It also comes int e POR-15 tank kit.
It is great at disolving rust, but, if you have any pinholes in your tank, you will find out very quickly where they were becasue as the rust dissolves, the pinholes will probably get bigger.

I also think the phosphoric acid leaves a protective coating on the metal after its rinsed off but that may be just the type that comes in the por kit.

A combination of the phosphoric acid and some lengths of chain or nuts and bolts should work great to clean it up inside.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

jwebfournow

Kiawrench ......you got what I was trying to say......I'll try the paper towel tube thing then the tape on wire, I just wanna get as much dry loose crap out before I line the tank...one other thing.should I clean the tank with the acid in the POR kit before using JB weld on the holes or can I JB weld the holes then clean the tank with the acid? In other words will the acid affect the JB weld if it is used first to plug holes. Thanks for all the info you guys by the way.

QBS

JBWeld sticks better to clean steel than to iron oxide (aka rust).  Acid clean first, then JBWeld.

funkamongus

right, gotta wash it out with acid first, the recommendations for the bits of chain were exactly what I did,,, then, follow the directions on the sealer...
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

akvision

I have a small vacuum cleaner and the hose is approx. 1" ID, I took a piece of 3/4 garden hose and made a gasket with a paper towel and duck tape and shoved it inside the hose and re-taped it for a good seal.

Waaa LA.. a flexible hose pick-up that you can insert into the depths of the tank...
This worked for me on my Beemer tank with some little rattles inthe bottom.

PS.. POR-15 is well suited to connect to clean rusty surfaces.. We did the Black Tank and it works and looks really good inside.
plus a small patch of JB Weld on the lower corners.  No leaks and works good.

akv
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

RedRocket

Here is a guy from another forum who had what looks like great success with White Vingar.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12807138&postcount=49

funkamongus

I own:

QBS

Wonder how long the vinegar treatment lasted?

Rube

I'm thinking about trying the white vinegar this weekend. I will let yall know how it goes.  :-\
82 Vision (Under Construction)

RedRocket

Quote from: Rube on May 05, 2010, 07:45:32 AM
I'm thinking about trying the white vinegar this weekend. I will let yall know how it goes.  :-\

Good.  I have a GoldWing tank that needs a bit of help. 

funkamongus

I bought some stuff called "rustol" for that, I bet thats what it is, sold to me for 50 bucks!! hahahahaha.. Im a sucker sometimes!!
I own:

RedRocket

Quote from: funkamongus on May 05, 2010, 01:52:15 PM
I bought some stuff called "rustol" for that, I bet thats what it is, sold to me for 50 bucks!! hahahahaha.. Im a sucker sometimes!!

Not really.  Rustol leaves a coating on the metal.  
I'm inclined to believe that vinegar will just leave bare metal so it can flash rust.

Another alternative is CLR.  I just used it on some rusty clamps yesterday and it worked amazingly well. 

HEre's another fan
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11617140&postcount=29

funkamongus

Ive heard about CLR,, doesnt work worth a damn on my shower head here, might as well use what I have removing rust, if it works.
I own:

Rube

Quote from: RedRocket on May 05, 2010, 03:28:01 PM
Not really.  Rustol leaves a coating on the metal.  
I'm inclined to believe that vinegar will just leave bare metal so it can flash rust.

Yeah, from what I have researched so far on the vinegar is that all it does is remove the rust and will flash in a hurry. They say to either seal the tank, use WD-40 to protect the metal and remove any left over moister, or use gasoline to pretty much do the same as the WD-40.

82 Vision (Under Construction)