News:

Main Menu

Another gas tank question

Started by jwebfournow, April 10, 2010, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fret not

After you get your tank rust free and washed out, use a vacuum cleaner in the "blow" mode to dry it out quickly.  This pulls warm air past the motor and speeds the process.   By removing the moisture it won't rust so quickly and you should immediately do the sealant treatment while the metal is clean.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rube

I started the vinegar treatment about 7 hours ago and so far so good. I'm already seeing some of the rust going away from the tank. I, however, have discovered a couple of new pinholes that I didn't see before. That's awesome huh?  :-\ The vinegar that is seeping out from these holes in nice and orange so that tells me something is going on in there. I plan on letting it sit for 48 hours so hopefully Sunday she will be ready to put back on the bike so I can start working on getting her running. Once I do that then the carbs are next.

Fun times!!!
82 Vision (Under Construction)

akvision

POR-15 inside and JB weld outside should do the sealing trick.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Rube

Yeah, I already JB welded a few holes and it seems to be holding up well. I am gonna do the POR-15 before she hits the road.

To bad the tank is such a U-shape because another good way to get rust out of a tank is by Electrolysis. I had a buddy with an old KZ440 that removed the rust from his tank that way and it worked WONDERS. The visions tank is to odd shaped to do it though.  :-[

Rube

My weekend was interesting.

My first go at the vinegar treatment was an epic fail. Everything I read about doing this said to use duct tape to plug the petcock valve hole. WRONG! I woke up Saturday morning with 4.5 gallons of white vinegar EVERYWHERE in my garage except in my tank. My wife was so mad, the whole garage and house smelled like pickles. HEHEHE

So here is my opinion about using white vinegar. It does work. It removed the rust wonderfully. Had my set up not failed me it would have been beautiful. The only problem is that the bare metal will flash rust really quick, and I mean quick. It removed all my heavy rust but now my tank sits fully flashed with lite surface rust. I recommend making a plug for the petcock valve if you do this. I used an old piece of thin rubber and my old fuse box lid.  It worked much better. I was able to salvage about a gallon and a half of the vinegar so I let it sit another 24 hours to get the heavy rust in the low points of the tank.   

I am done with the vinegar and moving on to POR 15. I should have done it in the begining but the vinegar sounded to interesting to pass up at least to try.

RedRocket

I did my GoldWing tank, and my battery holder with vinegar this weekend.  I left my petcock on so I didn't have your smelly problem.  The vinegar did the trick, but I found that some stimulation helped alot.
I rinsed it out with water, then blasted it with my air compressor.  Next I coated the inside with this.

http://www.boeshield.com/

fret not

Red, is that going to be the interior treatment you expect to last permanently?

RedRocket

Quote from: fret nut on May 11, 2010, 01:30:12 AM
Red, is that going to be the interior treatment you expect to last permanently?

Only until I start filling it with gasoline.

fret not

So, no rust prevention then. ;D

musicweb

POR-15 is also having a shipping special....

Place any size order by May 31st and receive FREE SHIPPING

Use code MAYFSO when ordering to receive FREE SHIPPING
but only if your order is placed by May 31st.

www.por15.com.

1982 XZ550 Vision
Most upgrades done... and a large pizza paint job!

RedRocket

Night Vision

Quote from: RedRocket on May 12, 2010, 10:21:57 AM
Quote from: fret nut on May 12, 2010, 01:49:18 AM

Wrong.  Gasoline.   :)

where do you find gas that contains water that is less dense than gas so it floats on top, evaporates, and won't rot out the four corners of yer tank?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rikugun

Will the gasoline keep the metal from rusting? Even if it were full all the time I'd be concerned. And what about the expansion area above the fuel level?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

RedRocket

Quote from: Night Vision on May 12, 2010, 07:12:12 PM
Quote from: RedRocket on May 12, 2010, 10:21:57 AM
Quote from: fret nut on May 12, 2010, 01:49:18 AM

Wrong.  Gasoline.   :)

where do you find gas that contains water that is less dense than gas so it floats on top, evaporates, and won't rot out the four corners of yer tank?

It's a GOLD WING tank.  It doesn't have any corners.

Lucky

Uh, ok, even if it has no corners, it'll still rust the bottom left side of the tank, unless you never use the side stand in which case it'll just rust the whole bottom of the tnak.  spend $45, buy a POR kit, & never think about it again..
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

RedRocket

Quote from: Lucky on May 16, 2010, 06:39:37 PM
Uh, ok, even if it has no corners, it'll still rust the bottom left side of the tank, unless you never use the side stand in which case it'll just rust the whole bottom of the tnak.  spend $45, buy a POR kit, & never think about it again..

I'm more likely to use Caswell's because I can do two tanks for the same price as one.

Lucky

that works too, but a question never having used caswells:  once you open POR you can't really save it &use it for other things later, can you do that with caswells, or do you have to do both tanks at the same time?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

RedRocket

Quote from: Lucky on May 17, 2010, 12:26:55 PM
that works too, but a question never having used caswells:  once you open POR you can't really save it &use it for other things later, can you do that with caswells, or do you have to do both tanks at the same time?

Their site talks about using only 1/2 at a time.
I may still take it to a radiator shop if I can find one close and easy, for not much.