*CLUNK* ..now hard-stops in neutral!?

Started by lafncow, April 14, 2010, 12:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lafncow

Finally got my petcock issue resolved and happy to have the bike back on the road. After 2 days of riding I'm in first gear just picking up from stopping at a light when I hear a loud CLUNK. I instinctively pull the clutch in, but the bike grinds to a hard stop as if my brakes are in. After panicking I tried starting up again and the bike road as if nothing is wrong at all... until I pull the clutch fully in again. I coast for a moment and then am thrown to a hard stop! Could the clutch be failing and I'm dropping into gear or should I look to the brakes?
Thanks to anyone with some insight here, I'm just not sure where to look!

Brian Moffet

As soon as you pull the clutch in, put the bike into neutral.  See if that keeps the problem from happening.  If you can always move the bike if it is in neutral, it's not your brakes.  The clunk sounds like transmission/clutch or something, but I have never been into that part of my bike.

Brian

QBS

Need more input.  Has the engine case ever been split?  How many miles on the bike?  Has the starter clutch been reattched?  How long have you been the owner?  How many miles have you put on the bike?  To your knowledge, has the transmission ever been abused or operated in a destructive manner?

Do not operate the bike until this problem is fixed.  In all likelyhood significant metal shavings are being generated.  Check your oil filter for metalic debris.

Question to V gurus:  Could this be related to the clutch basket?

lafncow

@QBS
I dont think the engine has ever been split. Approx 12,000 miles on the odometer. I've never abused the clutch/transmission, nor has the clutch been reattached to my knowledge....but I've only been the owner for the past 2 years. I'll check the oil and report back!

@Brian Moffet I can move the bike with the clutch in, the problem seems erratic, but I'll try in neutral and inspect the brakes once I get off work today.

Thanks guys!

YellowJacket!

12000 miles...sounds like its time for a starter clutch fix.  Could it possibly have come completely unattached?  Sheared off one of the starter clutch bolts?

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

QBS

David, 12k miles is way too soon for our "normal" starter clutch factory defect to be an issue in engine operation.  Also, from what I can discern from lafs' description, it appears that the engine continues to operate throughout the incidents.  A badly loosened starter clutch would in all likelyhood stall the engine. Sounds like either clutch or transmittion related.  At this low milage, this problem has got to be a real fluke.  First place I'd investigate would be the clutch basket.  FWIW, my OEM clutch lasted 72k miles before needing replacement.  At that time the clutch basket was wobbeling a little.  The replacement clutch now has approx. 15k miles on it, and the OEM basket still gives no indication of failure.

fret not

Yes, need more and specific information, as clear and totally accurate as you can.  It could be worn shifter drum/forks/linkage, bent internal shifting linkage, worn engagement dogs on the gears, low oil, out of adjustment/worn clutch cable, or any of several other possibilities.  Has the bike been down on the shifter?  If so it possibly needs a new shift shaft, as the ratchet mechanism can get bent.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Lucky

check the bike out on the center stand, that way you can 'run' it & observe.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black