News:

Main Menu

Swingarm or rear bearings?

Started by musicweb, April 22, 2010, 11:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicweb

I'm going to try the fork test later today Walt....

But first, an update on the alignment test.

I use string this time on a level bike. The leveling was done at the rear tire first.
Stretched the string around the rear tire, through the inside of the center stand, and anchored
about 3 feet in front of the bike with hose hangers screwed to the floor, so I could adjust in/out and up/down of the string.

I still get the 1/2" offset to the right on the front wheel.
The string is touching all 4 points of front and rear tires on the right side. 1/2" gap on the left.
I can eye down the left side of the front tire and see about 1/2" of the rear tire showing.
If I eye along the right side of the front tire, it is almost in line with the rear tire.

Now....if I LEVEL the front tire....it cocks it to the right and there are different gaps everywhere.

Somethings not right....

Just finished the test Walt asked about.
Took out fork springs, loosened 8 top tree bolts, loosened front axle.
By hand I can slide the forks up and down quite easily, no binding.
Took my floor jack and slowly raised the wheel until the forks stopped.
There is 1-5/8" of tube showing on both sides...which makes me think they are bottomed out inside.

I'll tightened it all up while compressed and recheck alignment.

1982 XZ550 Vision
Most upgrades done... and a large pizza paint job!

musicweb

Alignment was the same after the fork adjustment....but a big difference in the way it handled on the road!

I think Walt is on to something here....

Thanks Walt!

Going to tweak the stem bearings a little more and take her for a good ride later.

Still want to find out more about the offset thing.

Has anyone eyed down their bike from the front and seen what I mean?
1982 XZ550 Vision

Walt_M.

Ok, finally got to check the front wheel alignment on the '82, I have some 4" wide aluminum bar long enough to reach both wheels. I aligned it with the rear tire sidewalls and this one is in line as far as I can tell. It has plenty of Vision problems to fix and alignment isn't one. I put a high voltage tester on the stator and it is toast, low resistance to ground. My VOM didn't show it but the Megger did. Left side cover is coming off.
Whale oil beef hooked!

akvision

try the Tim Parrot route.  Worked for me.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Walt_M.

A Tim Parrot stator is an option but I do have an improved insulation OEM stator in my spares. I was going to put it in my '83 when it fails but the original is still going. Decisions, decisions.
Whale oil beef hooked!

musicweb

QuoteOk, finally got to check the front wheel alignment on the '82, I have some 4" wide aluminum bar long enough to reach both wheels. I aligned it with the rear tire sidewalls and this one is in line as far as I can tell.

If you put your bar on the right side, it will line up with both wheels.
I see the offset on the left side.
1982 XZ550 Vision

Night Vision

Quote from: musicweb on May 04, 2010, 11:56:47 AM
Update on this thread....

Still have issues with wandering and squirreliness.

steering head bearings that are too loose will wobble....
steering head bearings that are too tight will wallow....

a wallow is the tendency for the front end to follow every seam / crack/ tar snake on the surface...
you need to pay close attention to keep the bike straight.....

you don't notice a wobble until you try taking your hands off the bars.

checking for a wobble is easy, the wallow is more subtle, but you know it's not right...

a fork mounted fairing will magnify either of these symptoms.....

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rikugun

I replaced the steering neck bearings on my Kawasaki last summer. They had developed that "detent" notch in the straight ahead position. Besides being a nuisance, the bars would oscillate when I took my hands off the bars. I'm not sure if that is a wobble or a wallow but the new bearings fixed it!
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan