Main Menu

front fairing

Started by Hartless, May 02, 2010, 04:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartless

im lloking to buy a front fairing for my 82. need bracket too. anyone selling one? w3ould like the one with lower cowls with leg vents
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Lucky

they are rare, so you might be in for a wait.... we really push for people not to part out 83's, but if you find one go for it...  there are other alternatives, Pitchler made a full fairing for the Vision, not too many were produced, & they are big & heavy, but probably have the best wind protection of any fairing for the V.  then there are Shark & Stinger fairings in different flavors, and there is allways the option of adapt your own...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

vadasz1

Hartless I have a PICHLER fairing with the sides.  The sides need a bit of work.  It is silver in colour and I also have the fairing brackets as well.  PM me your info and I'll respond with a price and shipping cost.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Hartless

sooo lucky... where do i find these pitchler fairings and stuff. im having a hard time finding anything aftermarket for this bike. and im not too great with any kind of body work lol

Tiger

:) The Yamaha full fairings come up here every now & then...and on eBay. Sometimes it may just be the upper fairing and/or the lowers and/or the brackets and/or the mirrors, etc...if you really want a full unit you have to be patient and sometimes just buy the different pieces as they come up...

There are a few different small fairings available for your Vision...The Yamaha 'Sport' or a 'Shark', a 'Rifle'...however, you can adapt most fairings with a square headlight opening to fit, mostly just a case of fabricating some brackets.

Rare full fairings to find are ones like the PICHLER (that vadasz has for sale) and a Hannigan...

They are all available...somewhere, sometime....... ;)

8)........TIGER........ 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kevin

Hannigan is still in business, Great people to do business with, they might still have parts.

Tiger

Quote from: Kevin on May 03, 2010, 06:49:03 AM
Hannigan is still in business, Great people to do business with, they might still have parts.

:) ...and here is their email address... hannigan@centurytel.net
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Hartless

funkamongus

I might be willing to let my fairing go, its in need of a skim coat and bondo and paint work... Its exactly as I purchased it for 100 bucks and it took 70 in shipping to get it here from Denver.. I could use some cash to get me to my next gig in Branson... Thought Id put it out there.. Its the full factory one with lowers.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

lexx790

Hasn't anyone made a mould from an original fairing to remake new fairings ?

Hartless

how much are you trying to get for it funkamongus

funkamongus

I was thinking 150 and shipping. for aLL the parts Ive amassed. I do NOT have a windshield yet. I have mirrors that are mediocre, the brackets, the upper and the lowers.. onve vent in one lower is broken, it needs skim coat and paint. Pics on request!I need to be fast though, Im out of here for quite some time (I hope its for a job) starting mid next week.
I own:

Hartless

if you could send some pics that would always be nice. is the bracket for an 82 ? or does it even matter?

funkamongus

I have an 82 also and was trying to make the conversion. There are a few pieces left for the full conversion.. lid for oil cao extension, shifter, handlebar risers... the other things didnt seem like a make or break thing to me so I was on plan to go forward... I'll take pics tomorrow. I wouldnt sell it at all, in fact, im only kinda halfway putting it out there,  but, I really need the money to have a place to stay when I get to branson!   
I own:

Hartless

totally understandable. im not saying i want to buy it either !lol ,at least not yet!

Tiger

:) To give you some idea, a full fairing consists of:

1 x Main upper fairing body.
2 x Fairing lowers with vent's.
1 x windshield.
2 x mirrors.
1 x left side fairing lower bracket with oil filler cap/tube.
1 x right side fairing lower bracket.
1 x head light rubber seal.
1 x main fairing bracket and two clamps to hold the bracket to the frame tubes.
1 x "W" bracket.

It is also helpfull to find '83 front riders foot pegs, gear shift, brake pedal, '83 short handle bar risers and an '83 master cylinder.

8).......TIGER....... 8)

funkamongus

Ill take pics tomorrow and we'll compare what i have to a complete set.
I own:

QBS

I'm sure there are some who'll disagree.  Oh well.  IMHO the shorter risers, while not absolutely critical to the installation of the fairing, are critical to its overall proper function.  The foot peg location is a similar situation.

Yamaha designed the fairing kit as a holistic unit to give more sport like ergonomics to any V it was installed on.  Some kit bits can be deleted, but then the overall objective is defeated.