News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Crunch and stator time.

Started by wolfman, March 31, 2004, 10:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfman

Well, since she has fresh paint it was inevitable. "Thought" I had the kickstand down all the way when I stopped at a small store to check out a strange running problem and see if the water pump weep hole was still weeping (It isn't) Long story short, the kickstand  was not, bike fell over, destroyed left front turn signal. CRUNCH! Along with a minor scuff on the fairing lowers fresh paint and graphics (Sigh) To add insult to injury, once I stood her back up, she would not restart. (Dead battery) Push started her, rode the 1/4 mile home, tested the stator..all three white wires have continuity to each other (good) AND to ground (BAD)  R/R tested ok.  New stator is on it's way from Electrex. (Sigh) and turn signals (a pair so I have a spare) from EBay.  Another $210 right down the tubes....

Rick G

Thats where having a spare parts bike comes in handy!.Watch the stand on soft ground too, most of them  are slightly bent from age and lean  a little farther than when new anyway. I carry a bike "coaster" to put under the side stand when parked.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

JaBey

Can't recommend a wide coaster wide piece of steel blank enough. A while back I parked mine on the side stand at work. Came out for lunch with it on it's side, gas everywhere, and the side stand buried 2 ft. into the asphalt. Luckily, I guess it went down slow enough that it wasn't damaged...besides gas streaking on the paint, but that buffs out.

MotorPlow

I still have the original license tag from my first bike.  I keep it in my saddle bag and use that whenever I think about it to stop the submerging side stand.

Just my $0.01 (I'm saving)
Chris
Callaway, VA