Where to start

Started by crackerkorean, May 16, 2005, 07:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackerkorean

Well I am getting my battery for my bike today. The bike has not been started in over a year.
Where should I start to even see if the bike is operational? Should I put gas in the tank? ( I do not know the condition of the tank IE rust or holes)

I would like to see if it even runs before I start tackling anything else.

silicon_toad2000

I rekon first of all make sure you can turn the engine over by hand. Either put it in gear (2nd or 3rd) and turn the rear wheel, or, remove the little rectangular cover on the left side of the engine and insert a socket, make sure the bike is in neutral and turn it over with the socket.
Then if you are concerned about the tank, take it off the bike before you put fuel in it. If you can take the petcock off, put a little fuel in and swish it around a bit and see what comes out.
Have a look at luckys site www.xz550.com for a new bike checklist and some tips on what to look for, also to download a manual for the beast.
Thanks for that site Lucky!
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

louthepou

Yup, I was just going to say: drain the tank, make sure it's clean, put fresh gas.

Drain the carbs as well. Chances are, there's thick goo in the bottom of the feul bowl unless they were properly emptied before storage.

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

crackerkorean

Would 1st gear work? I tried turning it over and well I am not sure how hard I should be trying. I still have the spark plugs in but it should still turn over with them in with just alot more work right???

ProfessorRex

I can't turn mine over by hand with the plugs in, not at all.  You can probably do it if you take the plugs out.  You need to check the plugs anyway, so it's no big deal.

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Rick G

Your not going to turn it over in any gear  with the plugs in !!!!!
Best take them out  and inspect them anyway  like the Prof, says.
Besides you need the relaxation and enjoyment  of removing the front plug. ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

QuoteBesides you need the relaxation and enjoyment ?of removing the front plug. ;D

Good one, Rick - That's the only thing the original Yamaha tool kit is good for - spark plug socket & appropriate wrench remove that front plug fairly easily.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

crackerkorean

Being new to motorcycles I was not sure how hard it would be. I have turned over a 2.3L ford engind with the plugs in via socket. Not easy mind you but doable.

Well I guess tonight I will be removing some plugs.
Ok so how hard is it going to be to get that front plug removed with out the tool kit?

ProfessorRex

It's not that hard, just take your time.  If you need extra space the radiator shroud on that side comes off easily.

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...