News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Engine noise -- Bump start ( Could it damage an engine?)

Started by Raj1988, May 29, 2010, 03:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raj1988

Ok, i have a ticking sound from my engine at idle and also a whirring sound at higher rpm, like something is binding, It disappears when i roll off the throttle or switch gears. I thought it might be the clutch but it continues when i pull in the clutch and coast .

Any ideas?
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

kev10104

Check your front plug.If it is dirty it is happening to me.Clean or change the plug and it will dissapear but the dirty plug needs to be corrected.

YellowJacket!

Kev, this is realted to your other post "stumped".  If your plug is dirty then there is probably something wrong with your carbs. Whether it is that they need some cleaning or tuning or syncing, or just need the mixture adjusted.  I'd look into that.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kev10104

Kenny

What condition is your starter clutch in?
                  ;) Cheers Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Raj1988

Tiger fixed the starter clutch, but i have been bump starting for the past few weeks. Still waiting on a starter to come in from denver!

Raj1988

Ok, the High rpm sound of something bindind and spinning is getting more pronounced. does jump starting damage the starter clutch or anything else in the system?

Walt_M.

I'm a little concerned that your starter clutch is not disengaging. But if this went on very long your starter would come from together. As to your question, jump starting from a fully charged battery in a 'non-running' vehicle should not hurt the starter clutch.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Raj1988

Sorry, i should have clarified, I meant bump start, as in Push and drop clutch in 3rd. My starter is out of comission and i am waiting for a replacement to arrive shortly. This started with, at first, an unreliable crank from the starter motor. Once in a while she would fire up on her own. other times, just a click. One mechanic described it as a flat spot on the starter motor.

Later if it did crank it did so, slowly and painfully like she was on a dead battery. I have a new(er) stator and the battery and charging system checks out.

What do you folks reckon?

Lucky

actually, once the engine is running, you can hit the starter button all day long with no ill effects.  why? because the starter clutch is what is known as an "over-running" type.  that means once the engine is running, centrifugal force holds the rollers back & hitting the start button does nothing but make the gears spin. there is no contact with the flywheel.

I'll actually hit the starter button if i'm stuck at a light & over the sensor wire in the ground.  the thought is that since our blocks are aluminum, there isn't enough steel to activate the sensor wire letting the traffic light know we are there.  hitting the starter generates a magnetic field, tripping the sensor.  seems to work sometimes...

Quote from: Walt_M. on June 02, 2010, 11:12:05 AM
I'm a little concerned that your starter clutch is not disengaging. But if this went on very long your starter would come from together. As to your question, jump starting from a fully charged battery in a 'non-running' vehicle should not hurt the starter clutch.

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

inanecathode

Overrunning clutches can get stuck, but theres no way you wouldnt notice your starter spinning along with the engine. Because of the gear reduction the starter would be absolutely screaming and it wouldnt sound like a whirring it'd sound like a jet taking off.

You need to find where this whirring sound is coming from. Idly wondering what an increasing engine noise is isnt going to fix it, nor is speculating where is it coming from on the internets. You need to start the bike, park it, get out your screw driver (hold the blunt end against your ear and touch it around to find whats conducting the sound) and your vacuum hose (put the end in your ear and point the other end at stuff, it'll also tell you where the noise is coming from) and find out whats going on. Don't play around with engine noises, if something is wrong enough to actually hear outside of the engine case then what is going on inside the engine case.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

QBS

From your description, it sounds like your starter motor needs a seal up grade and brush replacement.

Raj1988

THE NOISE WAS THE SPEEDO. I am so relieved it is not something i cannot fix.

Just thought i should let ya'll know

inanecathode

Hah. Would have helped to know that it only happens when you're moving :P
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.