News:

Main Menu

Which side is "up" on fork seal?

Started by VK, June 04, 2010, 11:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VK

Purchased Pyramid fork seals and am finally getting to installation.  Am guessing that the flat side (facing up when in the packaging) is the "up" side of the seal, but am not 100% sure.  Can anyone confirm the correct orientation?  Thanks!

Re-Vision

When you pop-out the dust cover you will see the oil seal, on top of the seal is a spring clip which must be removed before attempting to remove the old seal. Once the old seal is removed you can install the new one with the flat surface up. Once you take it out of the package you will notice the difference between top and bottom, from the bottom of the seal you can see the metal spring that keeps the rubber seal in contact with the fork tube. You guessed right and it will be even more clear once you start the replacement.    BDC

VK

Thanks ReVision,  I had removed the old seals but the were original equipment and were more solid all of the way around than these new Pyramid seals.  What you say about the wire clip makes perfect sense.  Would not hold down so well if this clip were not positioned against the flat side of seal.  VK

VK

My bad.  50 yr old eyes are apparently failing more than I had realized.  Put glasses on and now see that old seals are a bit different from Pyramids, but more similar than I had realized.  Sorry for the bother!

inanecathode

On any oil seal, the lip points in towards the oil. There'll be a garter spring around the outside diameter of the lipped part, this goes towards whatever it is it's keeping in (or out). I've gotten a double lip seal before, with symmetrical lips on it but i think you'd notice that already.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

jasonm.

also...if there identifying marks on the seal. They face "out or up" , away from the oil supply. Thus the OPEN side w/spring facing towards oil.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules