News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Seizure!

Started by sgrprincees, March 22, 2004, 04:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgrprincees

Last friday was the first ride of the Vision this year, and also the day I got my motorcycle license since they changed the law to give a license to people who passed the MSF course.  On that ride unfortunately, I (and everybody in the neighborhood) noticed that the rear exhaust had seperated itself from the ports on the head, which it was in loosely last fall since it is so difficult to access.  The idle speed wouldn't go below around 2000 rpm.

So I took it out for a ride today on a 2 lane highway out of town and it seemed to be running as well as it should.  I downshifted to 4th and passed 2 cars at once as I was going out of town, when I noticed that it wouldn't rev any higher than around 9000 rpm in 4th, which I mistakenly attributed to the slight headwind.  I then shifted to 5th in hopes of getting somewhere near the top speed, and it wouldn't rev much above 6000rpm.  I drove past a state patrol car who had pulled somebody over, slowed down, then realized that though I had the throttle wide open I didn't need to slow down.  I slowed down to 45-50 and noticed the engine take a different pitch at which time I closed the throttle.  Then the engine quit turning.

So the rear tire was sliding, and after a long moment I pulled the clutch in which allowed it to roll to a stop.  I pushed it to the shoulder of a side road and started the walk home.  Shortly thereafter I was given a ride to 82nd ave. S.  Since I live on the 2200 block of 10th st, the walk took quite a while and I just got home about an hour ago.

I think a number of factors combined to cause this.  The temperature was around 45 degrees, which would cause the jetting that was satisfactory in the summer to become somewhat lean.  I assume that a vacuum leak created itself between when the bike was put away and when it was first started to cause the high idle, which further leaned the mixture.  The exhaust leak that was an irritant, further leaned the mixture until it was much hotter than it should have been.

I did consider the possibility of a seizure/holed piston because of the exhaust leak, but largely discounted it as something that didn't happen to four strokes.  I guess next time I will be more careful.

Now I don't know what will happen with the Vision.  It has gotten me hooked on motorcycles, but I would like something that was in a little better shape to start with as a bike to ride, and perhaps another to work on.  It is still sitting on the shoulder, and I will go pick it up tomorrow.

kiawrench

sorry  to hear your bike has decided to make you walk.
  i have just been way childish mad about mine . put it up for sale ,started to buy a new v-star classic .
    anyway it goes, i need a bigger down payment to move to a new bike , and since my v is really not that bad considering ,,,,,,
 just going to repair mine, get her back on the road , for now .
   when i have enough for the new bike, will pass this on to a new rider,,, as in a learning bike .
don't panic guys,,,, i dont know any new riders, may be a year or two
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Lucky

What we have here people is a lesson in beginning of season & pre-ride inspection & mainanence...

On a positive note, Yours would be the first V i've heard of that actually seized an engine, so theres hope.

Kia, no one is going to flogg you for selling the bike if you need to go that way, stop feeling guilty! :)

We will still be your friends if you do.

Once a Visionary, allways a Visionary.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black