News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Over ride switch...

Started by Tiger, July 05, 2010, 08:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) I know some of you guys have fitted an over ride switch on the rad' cooling fan. I'm toying with the idea myself.
However, before I cut in to her, I was wondering how some of you have gone about this task... ??? Have you wired the fan direct to a switch and power source (the battery?), utilised the oem wires to some degree, or... ???

Details please, for me and I'm sure others, would be appreciated... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

The switch is on the ground side of the circuit.  I added a second ground line from the fan's thermo-switch to ground and spliced in a switch that I mounted on the fairing's dashboard.

I built a "Y" with wire & the proper connectors, connected that to the thermo-switch, plugged the bike's harness connector into one side of the "Y" and the switched wire to the other side.  Then I connected the new ground to the ground post I installed as part of the forward power center (fuseblock) I installed in the fairing.

I bought a led lighted rocker switch, but since that circuit operates on the ground, I didn't take the time to figure out how to make the led light up.  Would be nice since I can't easily hear the fan when I'm wearing the earplugs.  I have left the fan running when parking the bike.  It once ran for about 30 minutes but the battery was still strong enough to start the bike.  That's the only drawback to the second ground method - the fan will no longer shut off automatically if the switch is on.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

I just put a second wire from the thermo switch, to an on/off switch on the dash, to ground
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Re-Vision

Tiger, I haven't done this yet but I think that if you ran one new wire from the L/G wire of the Electric Fan Relay to a new Fan Switch and the second new wire from the B/W wire of the Side Stand Relay to the other side of the Fan Switch,the Fan should run with the Fan Switch on and Side Stand up. Turning Fan Switch off or putting Side Stand down should turn Fan off or at least back to normal operation.    BDC

kev10104

Funny I was riding back from Toronto today and was thinking about the samething.It was humid and hot and when I was stopped at a couple of lights I got a little nervous.Then I jumped on the 401 at 4:30 and thought I would be in trouble because of rush hour but was lucky enough to sail through to Oshawa.

vadasz1

If I remember right, I just tapped my switch into the connector that is located on the petcock side of the frame.  I did the same thing as H2O and my lighted switch works properly with a light on when it is engaged.

Next time I have the tank off I will take a few pics of the connection.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Tiger

Quote from: Lucky on July 05, 2010, 10:18:20 PM
I just put a second wire from the thermo switch, to an on/off switch on the dash, to ground

:) I liked this way...quick and easy 'fix'. Thanks Lucky...and everyone for there input 8)

On the thermal switch, I used a 'piggy back' connector...A wire was then connected to it and onto a switch on the 'dashboard'. The other wire from the switch was grounded using a ring connector and a Tek screw in to the fairing frame...VOILA!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

h2olawyer

Just a less verbose way of explaining what I did.  I was surprised at how simple the installation was!  Took me longer to explain it than it did to wire it up.   ::)  Glad you got it done.   8)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Re-Vision

The way I described doing it wont get your battery ran down if the switch gets thrown when its parked.     BDC

Tiger

:) This 'mod' works very well and took all of 20 minutes or so to install... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)