News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

XZ550 and XZ400 resources

Started by The Prophet of Doom, July 10, 2010, 01:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cvincer

Thanks for the Fork Brace Info.

Tried to access 'For Visions Only'  &  'Leathers Excellent Ignition FAQ'  but got the web page shown in the photo.

The Prophet of Doom

Thanks cvincer.  I think they should be good now, I had the permissions set incorrectly on those two

The Prophet of Doom

Added - The History of Yamaha Technology.    You will find it on post #1 of this thread

The Prophet of Doom

Added - Unlikely Relations - Tour Bike Test Aug 1982 A comparison of XZ550, CX500 and Moto Guzzy V50 Monza

This was published in 1982, and reprinted in 2010 (Australian)

Rikugun

Interesting read and a fun romp through nostalgia.  :) It's funny to see references to older bikes like the Titan and Yamaha TX models.  I wasn't aware of the complaint regarding knees being driven apart by wind due to the tank's shape. I guess I'm too short to experience that particular peculiarity. While not the overall favorite it was nice to see some of it's finer points being appreciated.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Added - A 550cc Performance Dream Based On An Engine Layout As Old As Motorcycling -  Motorcycle Buyer's Guide 1982

Thanks to red66tempest who sent me 4 items - 3 were duplicates but this one not in the collection.

Rikugun

Nice little article if not a bit optimistic. Surprising how expensive it was.

Thanks for sharing guys.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Two new resources today.

The first is a scan of the Yamaha Service Manual for the 16R (Australasian market model)  PinholeNZ very kindly sent me the manual to scan for the good of all and I've been sitting on it for a while because it's quite  job scanning 500+ pages.  It's worth a look even if you have a US model - if only for the jetting differences between 16R and US models.  Thanks PinholeNZ

XZ550 (11R) Service Manual EN,FR,SP

The second is an XZ550 article from classic & motorcycle mechanics as late as 2004

Neither Fish Nor Fowl - Classic & Motorcycle Mechanics No 202 Aug 2004

They are both on the first post also.  Enjoy

iain

Well that review wasn't the best?????

Iain
NZ

Rikugun

Yup. There was one or two flattering comments in there if you read carefully.

The Prophet of Doom

WOW !!!   513 pages is a shit-load of scanning it must have taken you about 8 hours.  You are amazing POD !  Thanks.

fret not

Yes, THANK YOU POD!  You have made a rather important compilation of information to the world of the Yamaha XZ550/400.  Rather historical in scope, and a masterful effort!  BRAVO! :police: 8) :angel: :D
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Good work POD, you'll be rewarded in the afterlife - if it exists.

I'm sure the Australian members are very grateful. Are there any more active Australians still out there!?

hoverhead47

Yes, I'm still actively riding my XZ550!

cvincer

The Prophet of Doom

Another "new" review
This time a comparison of the XZ550 and Honda's CX500 from Bike Magazine November 1982.  No flattering comments in this one.

A Pair of Boilers - Bike November 1982

See the first post of this thread for a full index

Rikugun

Well, maybe one or two flattering remarks. You might not have noticed them at the end after being bludgeoned throughout the article with all the faults. I was surprised they praised the bars despite many on this site (or a very vocal minority?) seeming to hate them.

This review picked up on something I haven't seen in many other reviews that being the proclivity of the engine temp gage to flirt with the red zone.

The Prophet of Doom

Another new resource today.

This time a scan of the Yamaha Owners Manual for the 16R (Australasian market model).  Picked this up from the Vintage Car Club swapmeet along with a sidecover gasket.

Listed on the first post also.  Enjoy

(16R) XZ550 Owners Manual - EN, FR, SP

Rikugun

Thanks POD, I don't have this model but like having these different manuals just because.  I like the addition of "Prophet Scan" at the top.

The Prophet of Doom

Just when we thought we had everything here's a nice advertising brochure from Yamaha - Courtesy of the facebook site that unfortunately seems to be taking over RoV

0-60 in 5 Minutes