Carburetor removal and cleaning

Started by pat sullivan, July 10, 2010, 11:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pat sullivan

Looks like my 82 Vision finally needs its first ever carb cleaning.  It just started running very rough in the mid range (OK at idle and higher speed).  I sprayed some carb spray in the top vents of the carb's and that cured the problem, but only for a couple of days.

I can find no description on Carb removal in the factory manual, but the it's covered in the Hayes manual.  Does that description work OK to remove the carbs?  Any tips on getting them out?

After I remove them, any tips on what I should be looking for given the above symptoms.  Finally, what's a recommendation for a fuel filter to use?

Thanks,
Pat Sullivan

George R. Young

There are little holes in the carb throats where gas is supposed to come thru at partially open throttle, which may be clogged.

They're  near the bottom of the butterfly when it's closed.

Night Vision

have you tried a 1/2 pint of seafoam?

actually, I have found the 10% ethanol  :P  to be a pretty good carb cleaner.....

maybe check for vacc leaks or sync them?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

I remove the fuel pump in the frame and remove the carbs out the left side.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

AdvRich

Same for me with left side removal after YICS chamber and fuel pump. Wouldn't hurt to take a pic or two for the reconnect phase when putting them back in.

pat sullivan

Thanks to all for the suggestions, tips etc.  I got the carbs out after much fussing and pulling.  I pulled one float cover off to take a look.  It looks like there is a LOT of deposits of fine brown particles, probably rust.  It's going to be a couple of days before I can get to the disassembly and cleaning.  By the way I had to use a impact driver to get fuel pump off. 

I ordered an in-line fuel filter from Dennis Kirk (Part # 182519).  One of the reviewers on the Dennis Kirk site reported he had a similar problem with his Vision and that he is now using that filter.

pat sullivan

Rikugun

I found a filter at Auto Zone that I'm trying. It's a "Luber-finer" part # FF2314/G6529 with a translucent body so you can see if any sediment is collecting in it. It's a very common filter and cross references to other brands like NAPA, Purolator, Bosch etc. The remarkable thing about this filter is the markings on it: "Made in USA"
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan