Seat Cover

Started by rockinjer, July 18, 2010, 02:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockinjer

I had a rip in the origanal seat cover so i decided to check out the fabric store and bought a yard of black marine vinyl. took the old staples and cover off and had to have the wife help me stretch it over the foam to make it just right, slowly i am making my bike look better
1982 XZ550

rockinjer

1982 XZ550

QBS

Good job!  Looks great.

Hartless

so it was fairly simple.just sretch and staple?about to do that to my seat
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

inanecathode

I re-shaped my seat and made a new cover for it last year at some point. I wish i had the pictures from it but they're buried in my photobucket somewhere. I will tell you though that although landau top foam is much stiffer than regular foam, it does break down over time :/
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

lexx790

I clamped me seat upside down on the cover on a stool, this compressed the foam.
When all stapled, release the clamp and the foam expands making a nice taught cover.

Hartless

fiat-doctor

Nice Job... looks professional!
Any other tips, hints for the rest of us?
Steve

Tiger

Quote from: rockinjer on July 18, 2010, 02:23:03 PM
...i am making my bike look better

:) Well done...shes getting there buddy 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

rockinjer

Quote from: fiat-doctor on July 19, 2010, 01:51:44 PM
Any other tips, hints for the rest of us?
Steve

Just remember that when you have wrinkles and you will have them to not be afraid to pull a few staples out and stretch them out.  :)
1982 XZ550

ejether

Looks great, Your bike looks a lot like mine but several steps farther down the road to looking good!

What did you use to staple the new cover back on? Anything special?

Lucky

use a pneumatic or electric staple gun. if you can find stainless steel staples, even better.  shorter staples 1/4 inch or so should be fine & less chance of sticking up or poking thru.

one other thing, when you staple, press the stapler hard into the material before you pull the trigger, or the staples won't go in all the way.

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ejether

Hmmm well, I don't have one of those... what are the chances of making it happen with brads/tacks... or a hand stapler and a tack hammer?

kiawrench

i use an arrow heavy duty hand stapler from wal-mart-- 13.00  and 1/4 inch stainless steel staples.

to compress the foam to get best stretch, i use a 50 lb bag of dog food on floor, thin blanket to protect fabric, and a bottle jack resting on a 2x6 board 24 inches long- braced off the lower rail of my workbench. . this allows me to fit a lot of foam into a very thin seat. . it also lets me get an extremely smooth cover ,with few wrinkles in the corners.  those are tweaked by making relief cuts in inverted V shape almost to seat pan and re-stapling .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

AdvRich

Nice work! Looks Great... kinda reminds of mid 80's Honda 700S and the like seats.

YellowJacket!

Yeah...use te short staples.  Mine were too long and I have perforations all along the front edge of my seat.  Its on my short list of things to fix....eventually.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Raj1988

Short list or short-list David?

FYI 2 yics heading your way take you time with them
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Lucky

Kia did a seat for Kittys bike, for the verticly challenged, & did a great job, so his method works :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Hartless

put a new cover  on the seat. its a braided vinyl. did not tuck the edges though. we will see when it begins to rip

YellowJacket!

Sweet job hartless.  Thats the kind of material I'm thinking about as a possiblility.

oh and raj, its a long short list.  :-)  .  I'll get the YICS sealed and back to you ASAP.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)