News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Airbox mod's Pics added, Update and the future

Started by treedragon, July 25, 2010, 02:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

Bet 130 looked like 180. Hope he's not getting hard of hearing and blind like me.    BDC

treedragon

he he

83 carbs

the 130's are down the bottom lefthand side behind the screw next to the hex drain bung.
the 125's are the ones down the ear trumpets, oops I mean air trumpets, deaf and blind  ;D
the 180's are the big ones when you take the top off the carb and peer into nice clean float bowls and think nooooo maybe I don't need to poke any further.......... it goes why tempt fate.

Rikugun

Quote180 air pilot
  Treedragon, was this mis-typed? 

Treedragon, I should not have second guessed you - of course they are 180's!! :-[
I've since revisited Brian Moffets rebuild pics and his '83 also has the 180's in the carb bowl. The pic is marked "port_unknown34.jpg".

I think QBS referenced those jets before (possibly referring to them as something else?) and I was equally confused then...

So this is an airbleed to the pilot circuit on 83's?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

treedragon

Rikugun

I opened a carb and looked, the jet with 180 on it turns out to be the top of the emulsion tube.

Mike Jacobs

Quote from: Raj1988 on August 30, 2010, 01:00:23 AM
I DID IT last week and LOVE it.. Running wit stock paper filter and no Flapper :o

Raj, I'm as intrigued as you are by Treedragon's mod idea, and your power/gas mileage results sound great.

If I'm reading him right, to do it Tree's way you need a spare set of rubber intake trumpets lying around.  Did you do that too, or find some other way to extend the trumpets?   I've been scratching my head trying to think of materials I might have lying around and/or purchase readily that would do the job...
Mike Jacobs
Columbia, MD
1985 Honda VF700S Sabre
1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP
1982 Yamaha XZ550 Vision US
1978 Suzuki GS550 standard
1996 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja

Lucky

I've been scratching my head trying to think of materials I might have lying around and/or purchase readily that would do the job...

PVC pipe?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Raj1988

Rubber hose... (Big rig radiator hoses??) Sheet of rubber rolled into a cylinder and heat sealed maybe even stitched ?

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Rikugun

If you look through an automotive parts store, home improvement center, grocery store, etc. you'll find funnels with various tapers that could be cut to fit.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

treedragon

The main requirement would be no steps or lips down the inlet tract.
Different lengths would likely yield different results over various rev ranges.

I happened to have an extra set of inlets so that's what I used, the trumpet lip at the top may not be that critical so you could experiment, starting long going short.

On previous bikes I have used rubber steam/radiator hose of the same internal diameter as the carb throat with another greater diameter piece glued on the end to create the lip for the hose clamp.

Mike Jacobs

Quote from: treedragon on September 07, 2010, 07:23:10 PM
The main requirement would be no steps or lips down the inlet tract.

Okay, that's very good to know.

QuoteDifferent lengths would likely yield different results over various rev ranges.

Tuned to flow best at a certain frequency, like a 2-stroke exhaust, or an organ pipe.

QuoteI happened to have an extra set of inlets so that's what I used, the trumpet lip at the top may not be that critical so you could experiment, starting long going short.

Or buy a sufficient length of rubber, pvc, etc. tubing to cut various extensions of different lengths to put on for different purposes (don't some cars now come with a variable length intake tract for that reason?)

QuoteOn previous bikes I have used rubber steam/radiator hose of the same internal diameter as the carb throat with another greater diameter piece glued on the end to create the lip for the hose clamp.

So you've had this idea for quite some time now it seems, eh?   And a truly great one it is.
Mike Jacobs
Columbia, MD
1985 Honda VF700S Sabre
1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP

Mike Jacobs

Quote from: Raj1988 on September 07, 2010, 05:39:07 PM
Rubber hose... (Big rig radiator hoses??) Sheet of rubber rolled into a cylinder and heat sealed maybe even stitched?

I dunno if stitching would be such a good idea cuz Treedragon sez the inside passage needs to be smooooooth.

Waidaminit - you tried this mod already, right?  What method did _you_ actually use, Raj?
Mike Jacobs
Columbia, MD
1985 Honda VF700S Sabre
1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP

Night Vision

I'm thinking beer cans... but that's just me... I like beer
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rikugun

QuoteI'm thinking beer cans... but that's just me... I like beer

It's fun to empty them in order to procure the raw materials I'm guessing?  :laugh:

tig5

Is it just me or are the pics for this mod not showing up? I'd really like to see them...

Rikugun

They do not show.  :( Treedragon has moved pictures from time to time so the forum is looking in the wrong place.  :)  :P