Vision Vs GoldWing

Started by Agonoize, July 30, 2010, 09:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agonoize

So I have a friend who has seen my bike and thought it to be like a sport bike like some ducatti or something.  Anyway long story made short he just bought a 2008 goldwing and wants to race me, now if it was like a ducatti I would win no prob.  But we know it's not one, what do you think my chances would be against a goldwing.  I know their engine sizes but I also know they weigh 1k Ibs.

don_vanecek

I think it will be pretty even race until you get up to 75-80 mph and by then I hope you have a safe place to do this. He's probably only shifting out of second gear by then and your going into 5th.

kev10104

If there is twisties you win hands down.

Agonoize

K, Thx guys and I will be sure to keep it safe.

kiawrench

unless you are going to race in an enclosed , sanctioned  facility- i suggest you  tweak the rules to your side . and keep in mind . the new goldwings come in several models -- our city police are now riding the gold wing interceptors- (they require certification from road race schools to even qualify for upgrade from older harley cop bikes)

set race route in your favor, no exceeding speed limit, lots of turns, ,u-turns ,and cross town traffic stuff. gold wing will eat you on a long run ,but rider will tire quickly and may not be able to make the route if enough turns are there.

i just run them on country roads, with one or two road changes involving dirt roads-- that usually eliminates a big bike .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

YellowJacket!

Quote from: kev10104 on July 30, 2010, 09:56:28 AM
If there is twisties you win hands down.

Look for the "Wings on the Dragon" on youtube.  Yellow Wolf on his yellow goldwing is insane.  Looks like hes going into some of the corners upwards of 60mph. (as seen on the speedo in the video). 

Heres one of them, but not the higher quality one I was looking for:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

supervision

Goldwings are very rideable, they're ideal for carrying beer camping to the campsite.
" border="0

inanecathode

In a straight line you'll get spanked by virtually any goldwing or gl1000 (i dunno about a real early model, but they're not slow). Depends on the rider but a decently skilled rider on each with no fairings on either and stock everything you'd be about even. Older goldwings might be heavy but they have just as much ground clearance and accelerate about as good.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Agonoize

inanecathode

Oh, and a 2008 goldwing is *not* a slow bike, might be heavy but thats a huge motor with really good engine management.

Ron_McCoy

I ride with a bunch of Wingers all the time and the Vision will spank them in any situation but top gear roll ons from low speeds.  We haven't tried any top speed runs with the Vision ,but they're not competitve at high speeds compared to my ST1300 or K100. I always get that "are you sure you can keep up on a 550?" from new guys and later, "are you sure that's just a 550?"

Rick G

On Oatman road, near Kingman, no one has stayed with me , while on  my Vision. Except , Jim Coyle on another Vision.
On High way 18 , which has larger turns , Ron McCoy , On his brand new Honda, VF 1300 (I think that's the model)  with bags and wife on board was about 10 feet back, every time I looked in my mirror!!!!!!
It depends on how skilled the two riders are and  haw twisty the road is, as well as the roads condition. just be careful, don't get in over your head!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

Quote from: Rick G on August 01, 2010, 02:59:15 AM
On Oatman road, near Kingman, no one has stayed with me , while on  my Vision. Except , Jim Coyle on another Vision.
On High way 18 , which has larger turns , Ron McCoy , On his brand new Honda, VF 1300 (I think that's the model)  with bags and wife on board was about 10 feet back, every time I looked in my mirror!!!!!!
It depends on how skilled the two riders are and  haw twisty the road is, as well as the roads condition. just be careful, don't get in over your head!

I did :P

Rick G

That was because ,I proceeded much more slowly than usual. I had no desire to get two young guys , who were 1000 miles from home killed .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Agonoize

Don't get me wrong I was the one challenged. plus I kinda want to know what the vision has against an 1800.

Lucky

if you can say 'yes' to BOTH these 2 questions, then accept the chalenge, otherwise, walk away:

1) do you feel you can beat a bike with twice the engine size?
2) do you routinely get your ass off the seat in a corner?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Agonoize

Lucky, I barely have had this thing running for more then 5 miles at a times  :'(.  It is finally fixed I pick it up today so now I can find out. Besides this I own a honda 1982 cm250.  And had a 2003 honda shadow for a year before I sold it, I had it while I was in the military on station in the south.

inanecathode

Quote from: Rick G on August 02, 2010, 03:20:18 AM
That was because , proceeded much more slowly than usual. I had no desire to get two young guys , who were 1000 miles from home killed .

Looked like you were trying pretty hard there rick, never seen anyone try to flat track a street bike on pavement  :D

YellowJacket!

Yeah, Ive seen that video a few times.  Also seen that happen a few times as well.  That was freakin crazy on the part of the bikers to try to overtake the pickup and pass it.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

inanecathode

I've seen so many of those crash videos, you can almost pick the exact point where the rider has decided hes going to crash. The guy in the vid could have eaaaasily made it, but he decided he was already going to crash and or got target fixated.