News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Could it lead to an electrical problem?

Started by Bo, March 08, 2004, 08:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bo

Hi,
I've a black, thin wire coming from the crankcase, going under the engine, that looks pretty bad. I can see the copper, as the plastic around is gone on 1mm long (all around). Would it be enough to put some isolating stuff around, or do I have to think to change it (and how hard would it be?).
Thanks
Bo

kiawrench

trace the wire bo, if it goes under the engine to a mushroom looking switch, just replace that section of wire with a new piece. cut out the bad section, and solder in a new section. it sounds like oil pressure switch wire, but i cant be sure
unless you trace it all the way under bike .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Rick G

Just replace it ,  it will be simpler to replace it than patch it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

JaBey

If you can't match the connector end to replace it, then just fix it. You have to cut the wire to do either so it's no big deal. Just cut it on one end or the other. Put a real nice long piece of heat-shrink on it. Solder the cut back together. Heat shrink the whole wire being sure to make it cover you solder job.