News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Question on Brake Pedal

Started by VFan, August 14, 2010, 12:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VFan

In comparing brake pedals between the part fiche PDF's between the '82 RJ and the '83 RK, the both brake pedals have the same part numbers and in the diagrams they look identical; however, several people on ebay are selling RK brake pedals that look different. Here's one such example

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-BRAKE-PEDAL-XZ550-XZ-550-VISION-1983-/220209257710?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories   

What gives?

Thanks

QBS

Can't explain the identical part #s, but they are definitely different parts.  Not interchangeable.  Not the same length due to different ergonomics between the two years.

VFan

Yep, I stand corrected. The RJ part # starts with 11H and the RK part # starts with 11U

Thanks

Tiger

:) The '83 (RK) front footpegs are set back approx' 2 1/2 inches from the '82's (RJ), therefore the '83 footbrake is shorter than the '82.

Also, (for the same reason), the '83 gear shift adjuster rod is longer than that on an '82... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rikugun

I wonder if some other portion of the brake parts are different such that they both end up with the same "feel" despite the different length pedals?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Night Vision

yes, the rear brake cam arm is longer on the 83.... it's shorter brake pedal and the longer cam arm probably work out to have the same leverage as the '82
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

hoverhead47

I have a 82 model that has a short brake pedal.  It also has a twin disk setup at front.  Could the short brake pedal be in relation to the greater braking capability than merely YOM?

fret not

Quote from: hoverhead47 on October 21, 2014, 02:40:15 AM
I have a 82 model that has a short brake pedal.  It also has a twin disk setup at front.  Could the short brake pedal be in relation to the greater braking capability than merely YOM?
Because your '82 is not the USA model.  It seems we (USA) got the single disc and forward foot pegs but the rest of the world, or at least much of it, got twin disc brakes and more rear set front pegs.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

pullshocks

My original 83 short brake pedal broke when the bike fell over.  It took a while to source a new one.  I used  a long pedal in the interim, no problem.