News:

Main Menu

NZ Earthquake

Started by treedragon, September 03, 2010, 05:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treedragon

At least 2 of the forum that I know of live in or very near Christchurch where there was a 7.4 earthquake in the early hours of this morning, lots of damage........

Trusting all are okay and bikes are unscathed....

roro ian and I think maybe jim328

iain

4.33am  my god my house shock,
Iain
NZ

Rikugun

I'm glad you and the twins survived!  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Coil Coyle

Did damage occur in surrounding areas?

How are the rest of you Kiwis?

???
Coil

Lucky

Quote from: Rikugun on September 03, 2010, 08:08:44 PM
I'm glad you and the twins survived!  :)

I can just imagine Iain's next avitar, lol

Hope everyones ok!!!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

The Prophet of Doom

Without doubt the most severe quake I've been through.  Very frightening. 

No bad damage at my house or Iains, but a lot of chimneys, collapsed roofs, broken sewers and dodgy roads around town.  A few older buildings destroyed.  Only two people injured, nobody killed, which is amazing considering it was 7.4 - more powerful than the San Francisco earthquake.

Still getting significant aftershocks which is really creepy.  There's one going right now.

My bike is on blocks at the moment, I thought it was going over for sure, but it's just sitting there happily demanding that I fix the exhaust leaks.

Re-Vision

Glad you guys are okay. 7.4 earthquake or a 10.0 avatar produce a lot of shakes and shimmies.     BDC

Tiger

:) Good to know that you guys are OK... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Glad you guys are ok.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

iain

The council have just condemned the neighbours house, they have shut down there water which is connected  to my place , having a meeting in a couple of hours to see when there might be water..the pipes are smashed,, day 2 with out any water..powers back on that's a bonuses

Iain
NZ

The Prophet of Doom

4 days into this and I haven't slept at all.  We are still getting a noticeable shake every 5-10 minutes and a big shake every couple of hours.  It's somewhat disturbing.  I had no damage in the first one, but starting to see a lot of cracks now from this sustained assault.  It's even starting to trigger quakes in other parts of the country.

This should show traces for the last 24 hrs.

Brian Moffet

As someone who lived through the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989, you certainly have my sympathies.  There will be a lot of shaking for the next couple of weeks as the seismic fault settles down. 

Brian

jim328

5.1 aftershock this morning while riding to work. Didn't feel a thing, have decided a good plan will be to go for a ride whenever the aftershocks get annoying.

The Prophet of Doom

615 quakes in 12 days.
Check this out - shows what's happening far better than the seismograph.

http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz

The Prophet of Doom

At long last we have a date to do the earthquake repairs ($170,000 over the insurance payout !).  We will be out of the house in 4 weeks.  In temporary accommodation and everything in storage so you won't be seeing much of me till July.

dingleberry

You definitely won't want one of the tradies to drop a fag and raze the place then eh? Feel free to come out over xmas for a bbq and a coldie or two.
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Thanks, I have a horrid feeling we'll be packing all through the break :-( but will come out if I can, and force you to make me a mudguard on your e-wheel

dingleberry

Yeah man, I can make you a mudguard for sure. It'll be aerodynamically superior to standard as it will resemble the surface of a golf ball! I could give you a hand packing up as I have been a professional mover in the past. I do take a long time packing up photo albums tho', oh the things I've seen.....video cameras are a good laugh too  ;)
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Pah, I bet you are a dab hand at the e-wheel by now, else you should ship it over here - I'm sure I could use it.  Thanks for the offer - may need to take you up on that.  The moving companies are all thieves and rogues. 

dingleberry

Check out the price of a rental truck, I have an HT licence. We could do something regarding storage as well if you want. Moving day is easy, just put on a bbq and beers for free labour. If moving day is like today (36°C on weather report was playing it down a bit) you will need lots of beer....
You like, oui?