Carb Changeout

Started by Re-Vision, September 16, 2010, 12:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

Would installing an 83 carb on an 82 be worth while from a maintenance/performance standpoint? Is it necessary to also swap out the tank and gauge?   BDC

Tiger

Quote from: Re-Vision on September 16, 2010, 12:50:18 PM
Would installing an 83 carb on an 82 be worth while from a maintenance/performance standpoint? Is it necessary to also swap out the tank and gauge?   BDC

:) Here is my take on this subject...

1 - Well cleaned, well synced '82 carbs work just fine... 8)

2 - Complete or parts for '82 carbs are more accessable than '83's... :P

3 - To make use of the '83 gas tank/gauge cluster, you will need an '83 wire harness or plumb into the '82 wire harness to accommodate them...However, It is not necessary to swap out the gas tank and gauge cluster.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Re-Vision

I've not ran an 83 but I understand they have less carb cleaning requirements and don't have the stumble of the 82's. I'm building from the ground-up and one will be as easy as the other to install and I will have spare parts whether its an 82 or an 83. Is the 83 that much better than the 82 with everything else considered equal?    BDC

don_vanecek

Sounds like a question for QBS to answer, where are you buddy?

All I can tell you is in road tests from that time I don't remember the 83's achieving aceleration times any better then the 82's. I think the changes to the 83 carbs were more in line with drivability then sheer power and as Tiger has stated and I will restate the 82's can be made to run very nicely (I don't even have the air box kit on mine).

QBS??? (original owner of an 83)

Walt_M.

As an original owner of an '83. The plusses for the bike are the riding position(lower bars and more rearward pegs) personal choice. The fairing, better protection and the heat/no heat vents. Fuel gauge, not originally very accurate but fixable. Minuses, rarity of carb parts and fuel petcock. I would always choose an '83 over an '82 given equal condition but there is no reason to convert an '82 to '83 carbs unless you just want to.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

K, i've done it, all of it. the only thing left on Tourer that is still 82 is the frame, tail & engine.

Performance wise, I'm not going to give an opinion one way or the other for the reason that Tourer, with her 83 parts, is a pig. she easily outweighs the standard 82, so the same engine is pulling probably at least 80lbs more weight (remember i have a full fairing, hard bags, a backrest/luggage rack, taller windshield, custom seat, etc, etc)  i would say that with all the crap on that bike, & my fat A**, she still hauls ass.

i love the fuel guage & the 140mph speedo.

you will have to experiment with different resistors between the sending unit & gound wire to get the fuel guage accurate.  my fuel gauge goes into the red just as i'm about to hit reserve.

wiring it up isn't that big a deal, it's surprisingly simple to change out the wire harness, an hour or two job at the most.

if you don't want to change out the harness, you'll have to swap the plastic connector on the harness that plugs into the guages, then run a seperate wire to the tank, remember to wire in a disconnect for the sender wire & ground.

I think it's harder to change the plastic wire connector, if you don't have a pin tool, than it is to change the harness. you have to do it with a sewing pin & it's a pain in the a**

you will also need the 83 airbox to clear the return fittings on the 83 carb. you will have to swap out the upper engine mounts as well for the same reason, or grind out the 82 for clearance

The 82 risers will cause the master cylinder to hit a standard 83 windshield, I've adapted my bars to clear with the taller "Humber" windshield.  i'm running 82 risers & pegs on tourer, it's a more upright, comfortable riding position.  the 83 risers are on Cafe Vision, the 83 pegs are being carefully stored away.

just for info, Tourer also sports Euro r/h switch pod, heated grips, 1157 front & rear turn signals, fan switch & warning light, live oil pressure guage, oil cooler, voltmeter, Mac exhaust, 83 side stand, 83 rear shock, modified 83 front forks, 83 brakes.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

ReV, probably not.  Both years are equally sensative to unclean carbs and misadjustments. A good running '82 is pretty much as strong as a good running '83.  Fairings and ergonomics are of a personal subjective nature.  The '83 fuel guage can be lived without.  The 140 speedo is great.

An anecdotal observation:

During one of the rides associated with 25th Vision aniversery gathering at Winter Park Colorado, I got into a contest with the '82 of another attendee.  At the time I was riding two up and the '82 was one up.  The other V and I were at WOT and my '83 came from behind and passed the '82.  My bike went on to red line 5th gear.

Cdnlouie

Ahem...82 Canadian Visions already have the 140mph speedo....heck we got the 220kph if you really want a thrill, but the truth is.... bigger is not necessarily better.

A fuel gauge started the trend of creating meaningless things for motorcycles.  I definitely think that it should be shunned at all costs just because of that.  I admire those who make them work, but in the end it's still a meaningless fuel gauge.

Can't say I like the 83 fairing (had it with an 82 specially equipped here) and ditched it in favour of something that opens up the engine look.

Don't like the 83 bars because I like the touring position (more upright) and ditto for pegs.  Hey you can just move your feet on the heel rests anyway or put your feet on the passenger pegs anytime you want and do the same gig.

Definitely, a lighter bike without the fairing so nicer feel that you get hooked on, so hard to consider 83 setup.

Got the 83 carbs just to give them a whirl someday....maybe....but I've seen a few of them and their not so special (but if you think they are...then they probably are).

Definitely like the dual disks and tweeked front suspension (racetech emulators also going in this winter).  For some dumb reason the Europeans got us on that one in 82.  Although we got the better gearing (not fond of Euro gears).  Oh and I have to admit the 83 rear shock was a great idea...kudos there for sure.

I do like that extra special stator wire cover on the 83 though... now that's a positive upgrade!

Hey, why mess with perfection Mama Yama got it right in 82.

Sorry some of you fellows missed that edition  ::).

Re-Vision

Looks like the way to build up a bike is to start with an 83 frame, engine and customize everything else to individual requirements. Then replace with 82 parts when failures occur and 83 parts are impossible to find. I didn't realize that the 83 had a cover over the stator wires, guess what I'm missing? Anyone have one or two they're not using I would buy or trade for it.    BDC

Lucky

someone want to post a pic of the stator wire cover? never heard of it...

one more reason to switch to 83 carbs:  they are rare, & an operating set of 'rare' is cool.  8)  BTW, the pilot tuning is easier to reach & more precise on the 83 carbs.

Re-Vision

Lucky

oooh! shiny!! I want one, lol

Raj1988

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Brian Moffet

Huh, I didn't know the 82s didn't have that....

Learn something new every day.

Brian