Who here is really good with electronics?

Started by Lucky, September 19, 2010, 07:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

Years ago I did some pictures of digital guages in Paint.  I had lost them on a drive, or so i thought, but found them yesterday. 

Is anyone here capable enough with electronics to create this? (i do know how the self canceling signals trigger & this could also be used to calibrate a speedo)

Note, I didn't ask "would you?", just "could you?"  i'm curious to see what kind of cost is involved for someones time & materials..

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=5654142013/a=123944610_123944610/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Extent

Here's a very simple circuit that I found,
http://martybugs.net/electronics/speedo.cgi

the most expensive single component is only a couple bucks, and a bar graph could probably be hacked into the circuit without too much difficulty with a DtoA and LM3914.

If you want all the fancier features that a typical bike computer would have it's probably easier to build around a microcontroller, but that gets a little more expensive and complicated.

Either way it should give you a decent idea of parts costs.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Lucky

Good info, i'll study it, but it's like a forign language to me..  :)

Re-Vision

I may have misunderstood what you are asking but it appears that you want your gauges to display various signals the way you want them displayed. Every signal you might need is available from commercially available displays. Electrical Engineers today tend to be computer rather than electrically oriented, so you need someone who can program a digital display to accept your graphics overlay.   BDC 

Lucky

I'm mainly focused on the upper picture that's of the full dash

I've thought about a digital display but from what i've seen & read, that's more of a grid pattern. what i have in mind is more of a silkscreened front opaque panel like the stock ones are made of, with specific led's behind the graphic progressive guages, & digital displays for the actual numbers for the odo/trop meters, RPM, clock & speedo.

the original reed switch could be used for the speedo, I'll bet the trigger wire for either the pick up coils or the daughter board in the tach or the coil-TCI  trigger wire to controll the tach.  I'm sure the rest of it would be easy to do for someone with the knowlage, but that's not me.

I have, in this post now, stated EVERYTHING i know about this stuff, lol

I know what I would like, I just don't know how to make it.

Lucky

i ordered a catalog from Digi-key, it came today, & it's going to make a great paperweight, lol  the stuff in there looks cool, but that's about all i understand of it :)

EDIT: I dropped the catalog on the floor & the cat jumped 3 feet.  i might never order anything from it, but i'm gonna have fun with the cat!!!  ;D ;D ;D

2778 pages of cat scareing fun!

h2olawyer

Cats need to have their tails swollen from time to time.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

markmakeitso

To be honest, sorting through Digi-Key's online catalog is much easier, you can sort by categories, part numbers, or description and then sort by manufacturers, specs, etc. Occasionally the paper book is better, but how often do you need to start your charcoal grill? Online version has links directly to datasheets also, which is rather important if you want to end up with the right stuff.

Anyway, I've been getting into this sort of stuff quite a bit. I've been envisioning using a PIC microcontroller from Microchip and a 16x2 or 20x4 character LCD (cheap on ebay). Not quite as pretty as your rendering, but probably only $25-30 in parts. I'm halfway there on some other projects (mainly serial datastream from Motec ECUs and early 90s DSM cars) but a bike dash has been another pet project.